Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Start/Stop - Auto Stop - P.Brake module

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Start/Stop - Auto Stop - P.Brake module

So a few weeks ago the module in the center console with the Start/Stop, Auto Stop, and PBrake buttons on my 2018 XC90 started acting funky. I started to get "Auto Stop Service Required" messages, the silver roller where i can select a drive mode stopped working, and I was also having issues with pbrake. The dealer said something spilled on it and the module would have to be replaced and wires cleaned. $1,500. I did all this myself, dismantling the center console which was a huge PITA and replacing the module with a genuine volve module. Also cleaned everything.

Start it up and same issues. Now volvo did say they would have to do a "Software update" after the module was replaced. My question is....is this car so "advanced" that it possibly doesnt recognize this new module without some sort of software update? Strange thing is the start/stop button turns and works great. Suggestions??

Old 10-21-2022, 04:57 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzoflick
Now volvo did say they would have to do a "Software update" after the module was replaced.
Most modules in Volvos beginning in 1999 require a software download using VIDA to get new modules to talk to the rest of the car. Anyone with a VIDA subscription and an authorized Dice unit can "do a download". You can purchase a Vida subscription at Voltechinfo.com . For what it's worth Vida can't "reprogram" used modules to work in a different car but a company such as xemodex can do that with some modules.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonk
Most modules in Volvos beginning in 1999 require a software download using VIDA to get new modules to talk to the rest of the car. Anyone with a VIDA subscription and an authorized Dice unit can "do a download". You can purchase a Vida subscription at Voltechinfo.com . For what it's worth Vida can't "reprogram" used modules to work in a different car but a company such as xemodex can do that with some modules.
Thanks a lot that makes me feel better. Just a follow-up. This was a brand new module in a volvo box. They should be able to program that right?

Old 10-21-2022, 08:09 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzoflick
This was a brand new module in a volvo box. They should be able to program that right?
Yes, as long as that module requires a software download to communicate with the other modules in the car. But - We still don't know what the cause of the original problem was - you guessed it was liquid damage in the part you replaced.

You didn't happen to scan the car with a compatible scanner, have some codes and develop a reasonable/rational diagnostic path that led you to this part replacement?