Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2002 S80 ABS module

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 S80 ABS module

I have a 2002 S80. I think my ABS control module has gone bad. I sent it to a place that said they could repair it, when I got it back and installed it, it seemed that it may have done the trick, but only lasted about a day. I was told it may be my wheel sensors. I have replaced both front sensors, not the back with no change. I also got a used ABS control module from a volvo dismantler shop. I am still having the same issues all which point to the control module.

So my main question is, if I got a used control module to put in my car, would it work? or does it have to be programmed to my car? or are you not able to re-use this part because it can only be programmed once?

I was recently at a shop that had a throttle body they said the dealership loaded with the wrong software and it is now no good because it can not be re-programmed, but the dealer did replace that for them being it was there fault. I am wondering if the ABS control module is the same way.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 PM

Took my car to a shop that works on European cars including Volvo. Not sure how happy I am with them at the moment, because I had told them to begin with that the ABS module I got from a dismantler and I did not know if it had to be programmed or if it could be or not. They said they could diagnose the car to find out and if they could program it they would. So $120 for the diagnostic, I learn that the module can be re-programmed, but they do not know if it is good until it gets programmed, and well they can not program it, it has to be done at the dealership, although he advised me he does have a programmer on order and it should be at his shop in about 2 weeks. I really wish he could have at least used some vaseline. I have a hard time understanding why he would even run a diagnostic if he knew the module would at minimum need to be programmed. I guess he wanted he piece of the pie also.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got a module from bba-reman, I just needed to get the number off my ABS module and they sent me one that is guaranteed to work for the life of the vehicle - about 100$ after I sent mine in for the core charge.

At first I thought it didn't work but then realized that the data cable to it had not seated 100% tight into the module - make sure that is not the case with yours before you go any farther. There is a snap lever that attaches it but if it's like mine, the plastic is pretty fragile and even with a deliberately light touch I broke some of the mechanism that automatically clamps it down - it was no problem to manually secure it but it did not clear the error codes until I did.

To save an extra uninstall/install just to get the number off my old abs module, I used a mirror to read the numbers off of it - just keep in mind you are reading a mirror image when you go to order.

Hardest part for me was finding an E5 socket locally. Ended up mail ordering one.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 AM

Dealership programmed the module at the cost of $140 and then said I needed a software update as well for another $63 and this fixed the issues. I did check with several other places that do rebuilds of which would probably e reliable, and only found 2, bba-reman may have been one, but both of them were at a cost of around $450. This would have been a deal for me if this would have been my initial step. The place I sent my module to have repaired I found on E-Bay and had listed my exact part number for my module. I am going to send him the module back as he said he would look at it again to see if he missed anything. I am curious as to what he finds when I send it back, as well as have a spare but hopefully will never need it.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By any chance you wouldn't happen to recall that part number would you?