Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 2013 with some questions

Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 2013 with some questions

Has anyone added AUX foglights yet?

The only thing I am disappointed in is the fact the DRLs are located where the foglights go, and unless I am missing something they do not turn on with the headlights as a independent light for near side visibility.

This is GREATLY needed where I am at in Germany... so I may be cutting into the vehicle even though it has less than 1000 miles on it just to make up for it

Attached Thumbnails new 2013 with some questions-volvo.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure what you are asking. you want the fog lights to automatically turn on when you turn the headlights on? i don't think any car is wired that way (probably because in some jurisdictions it is illegal to have fog lights on unless there is fog or rain).

Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM

No, fog lights that turn on seperately.

Most european cars have full headlight control. The XC90 has the rear fog light (required in most european contries) but not seperate fog light control, or any at all.

The DRLs are located where the fog lights go in the 2013. I dont know if every year its that way. The way the DRLs work is the headlight switch has to be turned on with the auto switch engaged. The light sensor tells either the headlights or the DRLs to be on, but the DRLs dont seem to work without it set up this way.

I sort of like this set up because i can turn the lights off so it doesnt blind the gate guards, but it would be nice to have fog lights also.

Last edited by gixc90; 03-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM

not sure what spec your car is, but US spec cars are supposed to be wired so the foglights cannot be turned on unless the headlights are on. that is (or at least was) DOT regulation.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM

Just checking in to see what happened. I bought a 2013 a few weeks ago and I still haven't figured out how to turn on the fog lights.

I notice you said the DRLs are located where the fog lights should be and I think you are wrong. The DRLs are located at the bottom edge of the headlight. I know because I thought the same as you until I tested it out. The lights in the traditional fog light location appear to be...wait for it...FOG LIGHTS! SO HOW DO YOU TURN THEM ON!?!!?!! ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 AM

There are no foglamps in the 2013 XC90... The old halogen foglamps have been replaced by new LED DRLs. I assume they come on automatically at the "0" position.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you guys have new cars and need to know how to turn anything on or off, ask the sales person that sold you the car. That is what they got paid for. If not them, the service department or owners manual.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM

i bought my 2013 XC90 in germany, right as they hit from Sweden... the language barrier makes it hard to ask every question. I got a good run through but... couldnt answer this question.

Also, I only paid 38500 out the door for my fully optioned XC90 so my dealer didnt get paid too much

daotan... Its driving you nuts because... wait for it... your wrong.

Their LED DRLs no fog lights. If your lights are on the AUTO they come on when the sensor detects daylight... then off when its night I had my wife put the car in drive in the day and again at night and watched it.

I guess my original question still stands, anyone add AUX foglamps yet?

Attached Thumbnails new 2013 with some questions-lightsdiagram.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice photo lable job.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM

maybe because we have a base 3.2 we don't have them at all?

pic of controls
https://i.imgur.com/7QxnG.jpg

pic of lughts in middle position (drl?)
https://i.imgur.com/03Mni.jpg

pic of foglight (is there a bulb i there at all?)
https://i.imgur.com/qW2KR.jpg

dealer said (via email) that the button with the 'a' on it is the foglight button, but the button, she does nothing

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Im pretty sure the A stands for AUTO for your DRLs. The button works fine...

if you drive through a tunnel with that button pressed you will hear it switch and the light on the "A" turn off, IE your DRLs turn off and the headlights turn on.

Its to turn on and off the headlights to the DRLs. It talks about it in the owners manual too, I am just in Afghanistan right now so i cant look it up at the moment.

As for the headlights, I have the 3.2 premium AWD, they didnt offer the V8 in germany. Maybe the R model has foglights ill check it out when I get back. The only diffierence in mine from the R was styling and the NAV system (i have a thing against factory NAV systems). I think mine had some sort of package for the bending lights and all that, they turn when I turn.

Either way anyone else have a good setup for AUX lights?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM

I had the same question about the lower lights. I thought they should be fog lights but they are not. I could not get them to work and believed they were "cosmetic" but I looked under the car and found wires going to the lights so I knew I was missing something. After some experimenting....Those lower lights are DRL (daytime running lights) and come on when the headlight dial is in the straight up position "on" and the little light button below it with the "A" (auto) on it is depressed -and you must be in a well lit area or daylight for the lower lights to come on. If you are in a dark area (night) and you have the dial on and the "A" button depressed the regular headlights will come on and the lower DRL turn off on their own. You can test this during the daytime by putting your hand over the red led on your dashboard for about ten seconds then the sensor will switch off your DRL and on your headlights. I assume at night you could shine a flashlight on the sensor for ten seconds and get the opposite effect. The remaining light button (bottom right ) is the fog light button. When on it will turn off DRL lights and on regular headlights plus an additional white (I thought fog lights were yellow but ours are white) fog light that is built into the main headlight unit along with a brighter rear fog taillight. When fog lights are on an orange symbol appears under the instrument cluster. This should be accurate for 2013 xc90 Base Models.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM

I would hesitate to try to replace the DRL with foglights. I think you would likely get "bulb out" warning messages and it could void your warranty if anything electrical goes wrong (the dealer will blame anything electrical on a modification).