Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking heater/Webasto not getting diesel

Old 09-17-2016, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking heater/Webasto not getting diesel

I have a 2010 XC90 D5, 97000 miles with original Webasto/parking heater.

The problem: When I start the parking heater (direct start or timer), it seems to start as normal, it starts to blow air out of the heater exhaust pipe (front, left side of the car), but when it has run for approximately 1 minute it stops.

I have tried using it with the car started and not started.

The exhaust from the parking heater do, however, not smell typically exhaust or diesel of any kind. It is ambient temperature. I have tried to start if without the glow plug installed - then I should probably expect to smell diesel somewhere - which does not happen.

I have checked the diesel pump for the parking heater (located near the diesel filter, close to the right rear wheel), and it appears not to kick in. There is diesel in the pipe going from the pump to the main diesel tank, but no diesel in the pipe going from the pump to the parking heater.

I have measured the voltage in the electrical wires going to the pump, and there is no voltage during the 1 minute the parking heater runs. I have tried to connect the pump directly to 12V, and the pump starts 'spitting out' diesel when I 'tap' the electrical connection to the pump.

I have searched the User manual for fuse descriptions, and it seems fuse 4 in the engine bay is for the heater. I have tried to reset the parking heater using various descriptions I have found online (fuse in/out for 30 sec etc).

My diagnosis: It seems to me that the parking heater itself works, and that the diesel pump for the heater also works, but that there is something with the electrical going to the pump.

Questions:
  • Are there any other fuses that may be connected to the diesel pump for the parking heater?
  • What may be the reasons that the pump is not getting power, even if the parking heater itself seems to run?
  • Do you have any good suggestions on what to do to get it 'live' again?

Thx in advance