Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugging a Samsung Galaxy S8 into a 2019 XC90 via USB cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugging a Samsung Galaxy S8 into a 2019 XC90 via USB cable

My dad has a Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 8.

He wanted to set the phone up with Android Auto in our 2019 XC90 so we downloaded the Android Auto app on his phone and connected his phone to the USB port with the white outline.

After you connect your phone to the USB port with the white outline, there is supposed to be a popup on the center screen with a message you have to accept to get Android Auto to work but nothing pops up with my dad's phone. We tried using the cable that came with his phone and my mom's S4 cable with an attachment (the cable for my mom's phone does not directly plug into my dad's phone) but nothing worked.

How do I get my dad's Galaxy S8 to be recognized by our Volvo as a USB device and, more specifically, get it to work with Android Auto?

Old 01-12-2021, 01:54 PM

have you checked the settings on phone as well?Once you connect the phone , sometimes you will have to check the settings on the phone (the wheel kinda symbol) select what the connection should have access to

Old 01-12-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Koyp
have you checked the settings on phone as well?Once you connect the phone , sometimes you will have to check the settings on the phone (the wheel kinda symbol) select what the connection should have access to
I went into the Developer settings on my dad's phone and tried every USB connection type (Charging, MTP, PTP, RNDIS, Audio, MIDI, or whatever the phone has) and nothing worked. I tried to double check if he had some kind of security setting turned on that is preventing his phone from connecting to our car but could not find anything. I watched a YouTube video of someone connecting their Galaxy S8+, which is the same phone as my dad's but I think with a bigger screen, to their 2016 or 2017 XC90 and it worked without issues. At this point, I have tried everything I can think of and am stuck.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried connecting other phones to the car? Have you tried connecting your dad's phone to other cars? so to troubleshoot, first you have to make sure your car has no issues. Then you have to make sure your phone has no issues. I'm sure you checked the cable.
But go find other cars, If you are in central TX I can help.
All the best!.

The following users liked this post:
Scandisk (02-26-2024)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jcastel
Have you tried connecting other phones to the car? Have you tried connecting your dad's phone to other cars? so to troubleshoot, first you have to make sure your car has no issues. Then you have to make sure your phone has no issues. I'm sure you checked the cable.
But go find other cars, If you are in central TX I can help.
All the best!.
Unfortunately I am not in Texas (I live in South Florida). My phone (UMX aka. Unimax U693CL) works so it's not our car. The S8 usually gets connected through Bluetooth, which we never have issues with, and my dad's other car does not have Android Auto (this is the first time we have ever tried to set it up). I have tried just about every setting I could think of on the S8 and just about every cable we have (we have cables that plug directly into the phone and cables with adapters at the end to make them fit into the phone). My dad recently upgraded to the Galaxy S21+ and we are going to try his new phone with Android Auto to see if it works. My dad gave his S8 to my mom, and it would be nice to get the phone to work with Android Auto, but I doubt my mom is going to use that (she's not very tech savvy).

Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM
Default 2011 XC90 and S10.

I have 2011 XC90 and a Samsung 10. Android.set it up using Bluetooth and the Volvo app. No problem finding it. But because my car is 2011 it doesn't recognize somethings. 🙃