Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power System Urgent Service Message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power System Urgent Service Message

My 2005 XC90 V8 has 114,000 miles. It began making whining sound a day or two ago. Today it sounded like a diesal engine making very loud engine noises. My son thought it needed new belts. I was on my way to have it looked at (Sunday-Volvo dealer closed) lost power steering - noise stopped. Message appeared Power System Urgent Service and a red triangle appeared. I drove it about 4 miles and left it at the Volvo dealer. Turned off engine but fan seemed to run for a longer than usual time. I restarted and no message or warning lights came on. I am worried this is very bad and going to very expensive. I was just about to replace my tires AGAIN at a cost of 1200.00 or so-Michelin MX4 18 inch wheels-tires are about bald but not sure I can afford a big repair and the tires! Anyone have any ideas as to seriousness of the repairs-what the dealer may find? Love my car but it sure has been expensive to maintain and have had many issues including twice replacing gas tank, new ignition as key won't come out-replaced ignition but now it is happening again radomly-clunking noise when turning-dealer says nothing wrong. Should I keep this car based on history and milage? Just about finished paying for it and I was so looking forward to no monthly car payment-appreciate your thoughts on current problem and opinion as to whether to keep or sell-won't be able to replace with another XC90-especially v8-and I do love this car despite the past issues. Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most likely, your belt broke. If that's all that happened, then it shouldn't be too expensive. If something driven by the belt seized, and CAUSED the belt to fail, then it could get more expensive. Belt failure would cause all of the symptoms you described, as the belt runs the alternator (hence the power system message) and the power steering pump (no power steering.) I'm not sure if the V8 engines have water pumps that are run by the drive belt or the timing belt, but if it's the drive belt, that would also explain the fans running longer... hopefully, you didn't overheat the engine!

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying-it was the serpentine belt - replaced aux belt and idler roller and everything working fine now. It was too bad I guess-around $450-but then I needed 4 new tires so that sorta blew my budget-left them with a big chunk of change-but I still love my XC90. Thanks again