Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brakes/Catalytic Converter @ 12000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes/Catalytic Converter @ 12000 miles

I have a 2007 XC90 V8 with just over 12000 miles. It is currently at the dealership because I was feeling a vibration on the floor when I would use the brakes (the faster, the worse the vibrating). I brought it to the dealer, and they said the rear brake pads would have to be replaced, and at my expense, due to the fact that they are wear items (quoted at 400 euro). I am only wondering why the rear brake pads are having to be replaced at 12000 miles, and why the rears went out before the front. I am not a heavy brake user at all. The city driving I do is quite mild.

Also, they said that the catalytic converter was making noise, and they would replace that, but that would be covered under warranty. I am not sure why it was making noise, though.

I have had my 8,000 mile service done, and there was no mention of anypotential problems at that time. I am wondering if anyone out there has had similar problems with their XC90. It seems quite early to be having these problems. I am also curious as to why the rear brakes wearing out would cause the floor to vibrate.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Rear Brakes/Catalytic Converter @ 12000 miles

It is more likely your rotors causing the pulsation not the pads. It could be the fronts or the rears or both. These items are covered under a 12 month 18,000 miles I know they are a wear item but have limited coverage like I stated. If you complain enough and are a loyal customer they should take care of it for you. As to the cat I have never seen one go bad that soon or make noise for that matter. Why would they mention it if you were not complaining about it?

Old 04-19-2008, 02:19 AM

I just got it back from the dealership a couple days ago. They had it for a week and a half. They replaced the brake pads and rotors in the rear. It cost about 340 euro. They also replaced the exhaust system right under the engine. I never really heard anything wrong before, but now it sounds like there is an exhaust leak in that area. There is a noise, especially when I accelerate when I am already going 40 mph and up. Also, a warning light came on for the SRS airbag. I looked in the owner's manual, and it says that it needs to be looked at immediately by the dealership. It seems to be one thing after the other with this car. It only has a little over 12,000 miles on it. So, in summary, it's had the seatbelt warning system repaired under warranty, new rear brake pads and rotors, new exhaust system components replaced under warranty, and now this light is coming on. Does anyone now if there is a buy back program or something similar to get rid of this thingcause this vehicle is quickly becoming more problems than my 1983 BMW (24 years older).

Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Grüß Gott,

The XC90 is a questionable product. Unlike other Volvo models, the XC90s seem to be loaded with manufacturing/design defects. A few people have been lucky to have trouble-free XC90s, but many seem quite unfortunate. This is not something you would expect from a luxury vehicle like the XC90.

The rear brakes should take less load than the fronts, so I can only assume that the brake pads have been inferior either in material or manufacturing. As to the floor vibration, b5254t has answered it. The XC90 are also known to have alignment & abnormal tyre wear problems.

As to CAT, yes it is strange and I don't know if the dealer was sure that the CAT was the cause of the noise. It could have been something else, such as part of the exhaust pipe hitting the chassis, etc... The CAT is generally damaged when fed with raw fuel, which is the reason why the owner's manuals tell you not to shut down the engine at above idle speed. Or physically hitting something with it on a bad road. When they replaced the CAT, they may have used wrong/inferior parts, or forgot to remove the original gasket, etc... If it sounds louder and you suspect a leak, take it back to the dealer and have it taken care of asap to avoid falling unconscious while driving.

Electronic/electrical problems are common on Euro makes, so there's not much I can tell you.

JPN

Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the " what next" club. I am in the same boat.

ari