Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Accessory Drive in XC90 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Hra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please do not attempt rebuild your read

This is an extremly technical job that requires expensive tools, you can't just remove the read and send it out to be rebuilt because there is a gear that is pressed into the side of the block that even requires a special tool to remove it, there is a roll pin that is pressed through this unit and into the block, even removing this gear from the block can easily damage the block. I have 25 pages of very detailed instructions on how to rebuild this unit and let me tell you, it's scary! I own a repair shop that repairs Volvos among all other makes and and I own an s80 with a faulty read bearing and plan to use this car as practice in rebuilding this unit. Even I and my lead tech (both ase masters) are a little nervous about this but I am prepared for the worst! This is definitely something that you do not attempt unless you really know exactly what you are doing. You are much better off paying to have this unit rebuilt with the updated parts than replacing the engine with a used one, it will likely have the same issue someday. Don't forget.. You own a Volvo, although these are VERY good cars, they can be expensive sometimes.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 AM

For people buying used XC90 with 3.2L engine, what is the gurus' advice re R.E.A.D.?

Should people stay away from this 3.2L Ford design?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The READ wasn't nearly as common of a failure as the whole oil consumption issue.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM

I'm no Guru, but would by an XC90 again. The READ issue is extremely rare, so I wouldn't let it hold me back. I have had no oil consumption issues with my 2010 3.2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ScottSpec
Thanks for updating the url. We changed domain names.
We have updated our page with more pictures and a video of course with a new url. Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild

Scott

Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 AM

We have updated our page with more pictures and a video of course with a new url. Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild

Scott
Much appreciated Scott.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Default Updated site again

We create a new page with more info here:
Originally Posted by orswitz
http://www.scottsautospec.com/VolvoRearEndAccessoryDrive/

Old 05-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Default Update to the url for our page about the R.E.A.D. rebuild.

Our site is mentioned several times in this thread. There have been a few variations of this page. The latest is at Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild We have added a video and since the original, we have rebuild another.

Scott

Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Default 2007 xc90 R.E.A.D

Our site is mentioned several times in this thread. There have been a few variations of this page. The latest is at Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild We have added a video and since the original, we have rebuild another.

Scott
Hello I recently purchased a 2007 volvo xc90 from a small dealer who told me that the R.E.A.D was bad but that it would only make a noise and would drive fine. He never told me how dangerous it could be if it completely failed on me. I have a 2.5 yr old and am scared to drive it. He sold it to me for $2,800 AS IS. I've only had it a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or should I look for another car. In the state of CT if a car that is over 6 years old and sold for less than $3000 by a dealer...they are not required to fix it. I feel like we got taken advantage of because he didn't tell us how severe it was.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Although you probably will not have much luck getting your money back from the dealer, I would of course try, failing that, I would suggest that rather than walk away from the vehicle go see what a local Volvo dealer will charge you for the repair. I have seen some estimates around $2500. Assuming that most 2007 XC90's with say 125K miles sell for around $5,000, you might wind up having paid a fair price when the repair is completed for a very solid vehicle that will, if taken care of, give you good safe service for a number of years and one that the READ unit has already been repaired.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Karoline1982
Hello I recently purchased a 2007 volvo xc90 from a small dealer who told me that the R.E.A.D was bad but that it would only make a noise and would drive fine. He never told me how dangerous it could be if it completely failed on me. I have a 2.5 yr old and am scared to drive it. He sold it to me for $2,800 AS IS. I've only had it a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or should I look for another car. In the state of CT if a car that is over 6 years old and sold for less than $3000 by a dealer...they are not required to fix it. I feel like we got taken advantage of because he didn't tell us how severe it was.
Get a thorough evaluation of the vehicle from a reputable shop. Also ask them to confirm that the noise is coming from the READ. They do frequently fail, but 90% of the people who contact me thinking they have a bad READ, don't. The water pumps, tensioner, and one way clutch fail more often than the READ's.

If the evaluation indicates that the vehicle is in relatively good condition, I would seriously consider having the READ rebuilt. While it can be done for $2800, I would strongly suggest considering replacing the water pump, tensioner, and possibly the one-way clutch. It will add to the cost significantly, but it may save you time, aggravation, and money in the long run. Because if you go looking for another $2000 - $5000 car, you may just end up with another problem child.

I have once again moved the READ page to https://www.scottsautomotivemd.com/v...cessory-drive/ The other links here are still OK because they are redirected.

Scott

Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by msd125
Although you probably will not have much luck getting your money back from the dealer, I would of course try, failing that, I would suggest that rather than walk away from the vehicle go see what a local Volvo dealer will charge you for the repair. I have seen some estimates around $2500. Assuming that most 2007 XC90's with say 125K miles sell for around $5,000, you might wind up having paid a fair price when the repair is completed for a very solid vehicle that will, if taken care of, give you good safe service for a number of years and one that the READ unit has already been repaired.
When I registered the car they said the retail value was $7,150 so if I fix it it's still worth it I guess lol. I unfortunately won't be getting such a great deal I guess.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM

Get a thorough evaluation of the vehicle from a reputable shop. Also ask them to confirm that the noise is coming from the READ. They do frequently fail, but 90% of the people who contact me thinking they have a bad READ, don't. The water pumps, tensioner, and one way clutch fail more often than the READ's.

If the evaluation indicates that the vehicle is in relatively good condition, I would seriously consider having the READ rebuilt. While it can be done for $2800, I would strongly suggest considering replacing the water pump, tensioner, and possibly the one-way clutch. It will add to the cost significantly, but it may save you time, aggravation, and money in the long run. Because if you go looking for another $2000 - $5000 car, you may just end up with another problem child.

I have once again moved the READ page to https://www.scottsautomotivemd.com/v...cessory-drive/ The other links here are still OK because they are redirected.

Scott
I keep calling the volvo dealership near me and they haven't called me back. I think I will just do like you suggested and have it thoroughly looked at and go from there. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2021, 08:07 PM
Default Update

[QUOTE=ScottSpec;388026]How did you make out on this? I own a Volvo Specialty Shop and we rebuild one of these a few months ago. It required about $1000.00 worth of special tools and days to find the procedures to do it. I could not imagine doing the job without either of these so I'm very curious how you made out or what your solution ended up being. Even the techs at the dealer I talked to told us to run from the job because they were a real pain.

Update 03/20/2021

I no longer own the shop, but I am still selling rebuilt READ's and tools. I'm setting up a new site at https://volvoread.com/

Old 03-20-2021, 08:11 PM
Default New Website

Originally Posted by texasdieselguy
As a XC90 3.2L owner, this R.E.A.D. thread caught my eye, and after a little research I found this page with a little more info...

Volvo Rear End Auxiliary Drive - Rebuild - Repair -

I will try and look it up in VIDA and see what it says about this job too...
Update 03/20/2021

I not longer own the shop, and the page linked above is gone, but I am still selling rebuilt READ Units and have a new website at https://volvoread.com/.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Default New Website

Scott
Update 03/20/2021

I not longer own the shop, and the page linked above is gone, but I am still selling rebuilt READ Units and have a new website at https://volvoread.com/.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:13 PM
Default New Website

We create a new page with more info here:
Update 03/20/2021

Old 03-28-2021, 05:26 PM
Default New Website

Originally Posted by texasdieselguy
As a XC90 3.2L owner, this R.E.A.D. thread caught my eye, and after a little research I found this page with a little more info...

Volvo Rear End Auxiliary Drive - Rebuild - Repair -

I will try and look it up in VIDA and see what it says about this job too...
I have created a new website for everything READ. Videos with description, operation, and rebuilding step by step. it's https://www.volvoread.com

Scott