Rear End Accessory Drive in XC90 3.2 - Page 2 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 AM

For people buying used XC90 with 3.2L engine, what is the gurus' advice re R.E.A.D.?

Should people stay away from this 3.2L Ford design?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM

The READ wasn't nearly as common of a failure as the whole oil consumption issue.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM

I'm no Guru, but would by an XC90 again. The READ issue is extremely rare, so I wouldn't let it hold me back. I have had no oil consumption issues with my 2010 3.2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSpec View Post
Thanks for updating the url. We changed domain names.
We have updated our page with more pictures and a video of course with a new url. Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild

Scott
Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
We have updated our page with more pictures and a video of course with a new url. Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild

Scott
Much appreciated Scott.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Updated site again

We create a new page with more info here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orswitz View Post
http://www.scottsautospec.com/VolvoRearEndAccessoryDrive/
Old 05-03-2016, 03:59 PM

Default Update to the url for our page about the R.E.A.D. rebuild.

Our site is mentioned several times in this thread. There have been a few variations of this page. The latest is at Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild We have added a video and since the original, we have rebuild another.

Scott
Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 AM

Default 2007 xc90 R.E.A.D

Quote:
Our site is mentioned several times in this thread. There have been a few variations of this page. The latest is at Volvo Rear End Accessory Drive Rebuild We have added a video and since the original, we have rebuild another.

Scott
Hello I recently purchased a 2007 volvo xc90 from a small dealer who told me that the R.E.A.D was bad but that it would only make a noise and would drive fine. He never told me how dangerous it could be if it completely failed on me. I have a 2.5 yr old and am scared to drive it. He sold it to me for $2,800 AS IS. I've only had it a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or should I look for another car. In the state of CT if a car that is over 6 years old and sold for less than $3000 by a dealer...they are not required to fix it. I feel like we got taken advantage of because he didn't tell us how severe it was.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Although you probably will not have much luck getting your money back from the dealer, I would of course try, failing that, I would suggest that rather than walk away from the vehicle go see what a local Volvo dealer will charge you for the repair. I have seen some estimates around $2500. Assuming that most 2007 XC90's with say 125K miles sell for around $5,000, you might wind up having paid a fair price when the repair is completed for a very solid vehicle that will, if taken care of, give you good safe service for a number of years and one that the READ unit has already been repaired.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoline1982 View Post
Hello I recently purchased a 2007 volvo xc90 from a small dealer who told me that the R.E.A.D was bad but that it would only make a noise and would drive fine. He never told me how dangerous it could be if it completely failed on me. I have a 2.5 yr old and am scared to drive it. He sold it to me for $2,800 AS IS. I've only had it a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or should I look for another car. In the state of CT if a car that is over 6 years old and sold for less than $3000 by a dealer...they are not required to fix it. I feel like we got taken advantage of because he didn't tell us how severe it was.
Get a thorough evaluation of the vehicle from a reputable shop. Also ask them to confirm that the noise is coming from the READ. They do frequently fail, but 90% of the people who contact me thinking they have a bad READ, don't. The water pumps, tensioner, and one way clutch fail more often than the READ's.

If the evaluation indicates that the vehicle is in relatively good condition, I would seriously consider having the READ rebuilt. While it can be done for $2800, I would strongly suggest considering replacing the water pump, tensioner, and possibly the one-way clutch. It will add to the cost significantly, but it may save you time, aggravation, and money in the long run. Because if you go looking for another $2000 - $5000 car, you may just end up with another problem child.

I have once again moved the READ page to https://www.scottsautomotivemd.com/v...cessory-drive/ The other links here are still OK because they are redirected.

Scott
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd125 View Post
Although you probably will not have much luck getting your money back from the dealer, I would of course try, failing that, I would suggest that rather than walk away from the vehicle go see what a local Volvo dealer will charge you for the repair. I have seen some estimates around $2500. Assuming that most 2007 XC90's with say 125K miles sell for around $5,000, you might wind up having paid a fair price when the repair is completed for a very solid vehicle that will, if taken care of, give you good safe service for a number of years and one that the READ unit has already been repaired.
When I registered the car they said the retail value was $7,150 so if I fix it it's still worth it I guess lol. I unfortunately won't be getting such a great deal I guess.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Get a thorough evaluation of the vehicle from a reputable shop. Also ask them to confirm that the noise is coming from the READ. They do frequently fail, but 90% of the people who contact me thinking they have a bad READ, don't. The water pumps, tensioner, and one way clutch fail more often than the READ's.

If the evaluation indicates that the vehicle is in relatively good condition, I would seriously consider having the READ rebuilt. While it can be done for $2800, I would strongly suggest considering replacing the water pump, tensioner, and possibly the one-way clutch. It will add to the cost significantly, but it may save you time, aggravation, and money in the long run. Because if you go looking for another $2000 - $5000 car, you may just end up with another problem child.

I have once again moved the READ page to https://www.scottsautomotivemd.com/v...cessory-drive/ The other links here are still OK because they are redirected.

Scott
I keep calling the volvo dealership near me and they haven't called me back. I think I will just do like you suggested and have it thoroughly looked at and go from there. Thanks!