Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement of Multi-Cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement of Multi-Cabin filter

Does anyone have a diagram or know where the onboard multi air filter is to replace? Is there somewhere in the forum that describes "how to", how to change filters, fog lenses, fuel filters, etc...?
I have 39K miles on my 2.5t '04 and am due for a service. I have changed the brakes and rotors and tires recently as well as oil. Dealer wants $450 for a big service (37,500) miles. I don't need tires rotated, or brakes checked.
Other than oil change and Volvo suggested brake fluid change, is there anything else that is necessary at 40k miles? I will price out the oil change and brake fluid change which I am sure will run less than $450. I live in Boston.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Replacement of Multi-Cabin filter

If you are able to change out pads and rotors by yourself, you are certainly capable to bleed the brakes! Purchase a pressure bleeder and some DOT 4 brake fluid..................appx 2 qts.. Start with the right rear caliper..........then the left rear...........right front and lastly the left front. It will take you appx. one hour unless you have the facility to lift the entire auto off the ground. The time is spent in lifting each side........ the bleeding takes no time at all. Quite frankly you should perform this service on an annual basis.

r.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will bleed the brakes myself. I have access to a friend's lift. Will use DOT 4 fluid. Any other service that you would recommend at 40K miles?

Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nelson, I change (have the dealer do it as I do not want to "fool" with the used product) every two years irrespective of mileage, the trans fluid and antifreeze. Every year I bleed the brakes. A neat trick is to purchase ATE Super Blue brake fluid. When the fluid from the right rear caliper begins coming out blue then you know that all the old fluid is out from that line. Same with the other three calipers. Next year use "regular" ATE Gold and when the yellow fluid begins flowing............well ............same as with the blue. Keep an eye on the brake pads and when they become a tad over 1/2 worn, replace them and your chances of not having to replace the rotors has increased many fold. I have found this to be true over the past 40 some odd years. Once the pads wear down the heat transfer seems to be intense and warp the rotors. If you change out the rather inexpensive pads early the rotors seem to last. Of course if you are using an abrasive pad then the rotors will wear rather early.

r.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the filter is behind the glove compartment - I think you will need a torx to access it.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks, replaced both filters this weekend. What a pain to get to the interior filter, under glove box and definitely requires you to be on your back upside down, my back still hurts!