Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotten egg smell on brief acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotten egg smell on brief acceleration

In read'n the threads, I see where the Cat's are the culprits, but I only get the Rotten smell , when "stepp'n on it " a bit when necessary on the freeway.
Only when I "get on it", I'm hopeing thats a "normal smell" @ that moment"only".
Or can it be a "sign" of "saddness in my future", other than that ,Motor seems fine,, Any Ideas my Amigos ???

Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Do you have the Service Engine Soon light on while the engine is running ? Does it come on when you turn the key on ?
The smell you experience is from a rich condition and it is not good . You should have a mechanic / shop you trust to help you correct this .

Old 11-09-2014, 04:30 AM

Thanks , for your reply,, I just passed "Smog", w/ flying-colours, still maybe Rich ??
The check engine has just come on last-week, off and on, does not stay on continuously.
But the "smell" has been for the past 2 years , " No light " back then, I don't get on it-
all the time. Question , Can I confirm the "rich-condition" by goin to the Smog Station-
again,,?? My Buddy , will put me on-it again, to check... Or maybe "it won't work " ?

Looks like "you've experienced this problem too ??"

Again Thanks,,

Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Default rotten egg smell

Not yet...just purchased mine a month ago . I work on vehicles for a living and know this smell is from the convertors not getting the job done . This is from a rich condition and or convertors not being able to do their job any longer.
Make sure you have a good or new OEM engine thermostat in your engine so this is at proper operating temperature . This is critical for everything to work correctly .

Old 11-15-2014, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by pancho
Thanks , for your reply,, I just passed "Smog", w/ flying-colours, still maybe Rich ??
The check engine has just come on last-week, off and on, does not stay on continuously.
But the "smell" has been for the past 2 years , " No light " back then, I don't get on it-
all the time. Question , Can I confirm the "rich-condition" by goin to the Smog Station-
again,,?? My Buddy , will put me on-it again, to check... Or maybe "it won't work " ?

Looks like "you've experienced this problem too ??"

Again Thanks,,
The issue is most likely the PCV that is clogged and the rubber or plastic pipe that runs to the PCV is cracked. These are regular maintenance, usually at 105k or 120k miles

Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bgilliam
The issue is most likely the PCV that is clogged and the rubber or plastic pipe that runs to the PCV is cracked. These are regular maintenance, usually at 105k or 120k miles
You may also want to check the catalytic convertor as well.