Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issue with 07' XC90 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue with 07' XC90 V8

This is a bazaar starting scenario. The XC90 will start fine without any issues when the car been parked for a long time and even in minus -10 degree. If I drive the car for about an hour or less, turn it off and let it sit for about 5 mins. start the car, the car acted like the battery is low or no juice at all. It struggle to start and then started without any issues.

The battery is about 1 month old from Sears. So, I thought I have a manufacture defect battery, so I put the meter on the battery before starting the engine and the reading is something like 12.7 Volts. I get 14.4 V while the engine is running. I checked the battery connection and they're solid.

Could possibly the power cable from the battery to the starter on the positive side is lose or corroded? Or maybe I have a starter is going out...

My XC90 is an 07' V8 with 77K original miles on it.

Please let me know if you guys have experienced this before.

Thank you,

Jay

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

More likely a starter. I've done a couple on the V8 for similar problems.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
More likely a starter. I've done a couple on the V8 for similar problems.
How hard is to replace the starter in a V8 XC90?

Thank you!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM

Wait, what about the ignition switch assembly? Seem to be cheaper and a lot easier to change it out....

Thank you,

Jay

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

The ignition switch is obviously telling the car to start, I doubt that is the problem. If the connection at the starter (and battery, of course) is clean and tight, I would suspect the starter. It isn't the easiest to replace, its located on top of the transmission, under the master cylinder.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jat007
This is a bazaar starting scenario. The XC90 will start fine without any issues when the car been parked for a long time and even in minus -10 degree. If I drive the car for about an hour or less, turn it off and let it sit for about 5 mins. start the car, the car acted like the battery is low or no juice at all. It struggle to start and then started without any issues.

The battery is about 1 month old from Sears. So, I thought I have a manufacture defect battery, so I put the meter on the battery before starting the engine and the reading is something like 12.7 Volts. I get 14.4 V while the engine is running. I checked the battery connection and they're solid.

Could possibly the power cable from the battery to the starter on the positive side is lose or corroded? Or maybe I have a starter is going out...

My XC90 is an 07' V8 with 77K original miles on it.

Please let me know if you guys have experienced this before.

Thank you,

Jay
Jay,

Did this turn out to be the problem with yours? I am having the exact same problem. It seems to start fine after sitting over night, but when you try and start it after driving it on a few short trips around town, it doesn't want to start at all. Seems to be worse the more short trips we use it for.

Thanks for any feedback on what solved your issue.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM

No, I have not since the weather has been crazy cold here in Minnesota until today. What I have been doing is to measure the voltage of my battery before and after the engine started. I have been doing this for the last few days just to make sure that my charging system is not out of whack. I intend to double-check the connections at the Starter and make sure that's nice and tight. If all that fails, I will take it in and let the dealership diagnose the problem... Lucky for me, my Volvo dealership here giving an hour of diagnostic for free through their recent promotion. I will opt to do it myself once they conclude the symptom.

Hang tight, I will let you know.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jat007
No, I have not since the weather has been crazy cold here in Minnesota until today. What I have been doing is to measure the voltage of my battery before and after the engine started. I have been doing this for the last few days just to make sure that my charging system is not out of whack. I intend to double-check the connections at the Starter and make sure that's nice and tight. If all that fails, I will take it in and let the dealership diagnose the problem... Lucky for me, my Volvo dealership here giving an hour of diagnostic for free through their recent promotion. I will opt to do it myself once they conclude the symptom.

Hang tight, I will let you know.
Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with this crazy problem. It is driving my wife crazy which in turn gets thrown my direction. Hope your weather warms up for you.

Jeremiah

Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM

Ok, took the car into the dealership with my extended warranty and they did see any codes. Without any codes, they're not allowed to swap out parts, meaning no new starter. They were able to duplicate the problem once... What they came up with this, prime the car for 3 seconds or before starting the car and that's should do the trick. Well, I started doing that for about a week now and I have no issues starting again. Not sure if the cold weather has anything to do with this or the starter is getting old or??? But for now, no codes, no new parts and it has been working flawless when primed for 3 seconds or so.

Give that a try and let us know if your symptom went away like mine.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

That is not a solution. You shouldn't have to do that to get the car started.

Your initial post sounds like a starter. A starter won't set codes, but the power it draws can be tested to confirm its condition. If turning the key on a few seconds helps, then it is probably fuel related, in which case they need to monitor fuel pressure and likely replace the pump.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 AM

I understand your point. However, they will not swap out parts without any codes due to the nature of the aftermarket extended warranty. I wish this came up when I had the CPO, which expired 6 months ago.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what warranty company it is, but most will authorize parts without codes if it can be proven to be at fault. They often send an inspector, but a simple test for them to see and it should be covered.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM

No matter of priming the car or anything like that has helped mine. We are taking it to a shop that I've had some work done at before. I completely forgot that we did get an extended warren tray when we bought the car so we are using that. Plus the shop I am using does the diagnostics for free. I'll keep everyone posted when we hear back from them.

Jeremiah

Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 AM

My extended warranty does not pay for diagnostic and dealership does not give free diagnostic for something like this. The last time I took my Volvo to a non Volvo shop for a squeaky noise near the alternator etc. The shop told me that I needed belt tensioner when I only needed pulleys and a belt. So, I don't trust any mechanic says that they specialized in foreign cars anymore.

Let us know what your shop come up with.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 04-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Latest Status:

I no longer prime the car before cranking over the engine. The car started within split seconds with no hesitations, just like the 1st day I bought it. The weather is a lot warmer here in Minnesota for the last 2-3 weeks. Cold weather to blame or something else? The car has been well maintained.

Jay

Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Default Problem Solved

After taking the car to the shop, had them do a diagnostic on the machine, it ended up being the starter. We ordered one they replaced it the other day and now the car starts like it's never started before no hesitation whatsoever. Finally I have a very happy wife that has a car that starts consistently I know that my car was not throwing a code but it was most definitely the starter that was the issue.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jlstewart103
After taking the car to the shop, had them do a diagnostic on the machine, it ended up being the starter. We ordered one they replaced it the other day and now the car starts like it's never started before no hesitation whatsoever. Finally I have a very happy wife that has a car that starts consistently I know that my car was not throwing a code but it was most definitely the starter that was the issue.

I hope this helps.

That's good to hear and thank you for sharing, Jlstewart103!! I will have to take it to another Indy specialize in Volvo with more flexibility before my extended warranty expired.