Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T6 Propeller Shaft: Rebuild Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T6 Propeller Shaft: Rebuild Kits?

So the family and I have been enjoying driving our '04 XC90 T6. Few days ago I started noticing this noise during deceleration, kinda sounded like something is flapping. Then the noise turned into vibration on deceleration and acceleration.

Upon inspection on a lift, put the car in gear while up in the air. Saw the propeller shaft or drive shaft as it's more commonly called, vibrating like crazy. It was vibrating so much, it was rubbing on the undercarriage heat shielding, which is what was causing the flapping type noise.

Had it removed. It's two shafts with bearing joints at each end and one in the center. So three bearing joints. The end joints, the end attached to front transfer case and the end attached to rear differential, were shot.

Those two end joints were so bad, bearings were nearly frozen. After disassembling, I noticed these bearing joints look just like CV joints and bearings with dust covers.

Are there any service/ rebuild kits for these? Dealer carry these joint bearings and dust covers?

Last edited by louswheel; 08-02-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

There are rebuild kits for the front joint and and some prop shafts, it is the same as the rear. Dealer might not stock it but they can order it. Pretty costly if I remember correctly, around $250 each.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a used unit from a SoCal dismantler. I don't expect it to hold up for very long either. I think it may hold just long enougj for me to get new bearings and dust covers installed on my original unit. Will see how bad the dealer is gonna hurt me.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Any idea if I can replace my front joint without taking out the exhaust?
thanks,
Steve

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by stavri
Any idea if I can replace my front joint without taking out the exhaust?
thanks,
Steve
It's best to drop the exhaust and pull the entire driveshaft out. It's not that difficult to pull the exhaust out.

Besides, you want the entire unit out because you want to inspect all the CV joints on the shaft and repack them with grease. If you do this yourself, be real carefull not to damage the CV joint boots or "dust covers" as they're also known. If you break the rubber boot, that's it, to order new.

Inspecting the rest of the joints is important. The previous owner of my XC had one of the CV joint bearings replaced new, but he didn't do the rest and they eventually failed. Don't wait until the joints get dried up with no grease, regrease while you still, it will save them from failure. Or at least prolong it.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by louswheel
It's best to drop the exhaust and pull the entire driveshaft out. It's not that difficult to pull the exhaust out.

Besides, you want the entire unit out because you want to inspect all the CV joints on the shaft and repack them with grease. If you do this yourself, be real carefull not to damage the CV joint boots or "dust covers" as they're also known. If you break the rubber boot, that's it, to order new.

Inspecting the rest of the joints is important. The previous owner of my XC had one of the CV joint bearings replaced new, but he didn't do the rest and they eventually failed. Don't wait until the joints get dried up with no grease, regrease while you still, it will save them from failure. Or at least prolong it.
Thanks. You do need to take the whole shaft because there in no way to remove the front cv joint circlip as you can't see it. I dropped the exhaust in the middle and back which worked well. no need to take it off at the front. BUT how the heck did you get the rear CV joint off?? Its stuck pretty tight to the rear shaft. Its never easy!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Default The solution to the problem

The problem was the u joint. Unfortunately they don't sell that part and make you buy the entire propeller shaft front to back. What would be a $20 fix on most cars cost $1000( doing it myself) ugh.