Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T6 transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T6 transmission???

O.K. now I am ready to get rid of the car completely!! after everything we have done to it now I am reading that we have the one with the worst transmission of them all??!! is this a given that it will crater at some point?? Is there anything that can be done to make it less probable that you will have problems??

also, the tie rod ball joint, is there more than one ball joint?? I have had both left and right replaced and now I see that they have a recall on them but I have already paid out of pocket.

And one last thing, shocks, I need the front shocks replaced. They are not bouncy but the noise coming from them is now at the ultimate annoying level. Is there any special "things" I should know about deciding which ones?? Can any shop do this or should I take it to the dealer??

K.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: T6 transmission???

1.You have about a 50/50 on the tranny I have seen some with over 100k on them still running strong.
If you seem to be looseing coolant and can't find a leak have the Dealer test the tranny fluid for Coolant.

2.If yours is under the Recall they will reimburse you for the repair. Have a Dealer run your Vin for recalls.

3.Are you sure the noise is from the shocks and not the spring seats?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 AM

I have no idea it just squeeks over every bump. but the overall performance is fine. The car doesn't bounce or anything. How do you find out if it is the spring seats you mentioned?? We have 142,000 kms on it now so I am sure there are certain things that need to be changed it just seems like a car that cost this much should be holding up a bit better than it is.

K.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Find where the strut nut comes through the body.
There is a 13/16 or 21MM nut there. Try using a wrench or socket and turn it. If it turns freely it is bad.
If it feels rubbery it is good.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihave an 04xc90 t6 squeeks over bumps, and makes a noise when backing up. Dealer says its the struts @ 850.00. Any info on the spring seats thing?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM

I went to volvo to get the supplies to change the oil and I started to talk with the manager there. I was picking his brain about the transmission and such, I asked him about the struts and the noise coming from them and he said that most likely it would be the seats as they change those much more often due to noise than the actual strut but because I have 144,000 kms on my car it is probably time to change the struts. As for the transmission, he said " treat the car like it is your best friend and it should treat you the same"... My best friend costs me a fortune!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 PM

I had the the same issues as described by both of you guys (noise over every bump and when backing up) ... It was the spring seats.

As an FYI, I have the T6 version apparently the one with the dreaded transmission problem. My transmission still shifts and drives like new and I have over 112000 miles now and tows a trailer occasionally .... "knock on wood" I hope it stays that way. I do flush my transmission oil every 30000 miles or 2 years, maybe it helps.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Now that is what I like to hear!!!! I haven't had any problems with mine either (transmission wise, plenty of other quirks I have dealt with). I had no idea I even had the dreaded T6 until I found this forum and then I started to , little by little figure out that I had the dud. I have 144,000 kms which turns out to be approx 90,000 + miles, so I am really glad to hear of someone else who has the T6 and it is still going strong!! I am contemplating getting the whole front end re-done just to have everything done at once instead of it all going little by little. I am really tired of taking it in for the knocking/clunking sound and them doing something only to have it back a few hundred kms down the road. I figure if they re do the whole thing, then that would pretty much take the guess work out of what it could be no??
ahhh who knows, I do know that my next visit to the mechanics will be for the new struts, get rid of that annoying crunchy / squeeky sound then we will move on from there.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Mel

I have the choice between 2 T6's..both 2004, both identical package
One with 55,500 Miles, No warranty
the other
76,200 with an Volvo certified extended warranty to 100 000 Miles
My bro-in-law has a 2003 that he had to replace the transmission. I'm scared of that. But the resale? I'm not going to keep it for that long (maybe about 3 months) before I sell? Sooooo confused?
Opps, I went to wrong place- going to start a new subject