Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a 4000 lbs camper trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing a 4000 lbs camper trailer

Are there any members out there towing camper trailers with a 3.2L XC? I have just purchased a 2010 3.2L to tow a 23 ft Airstream. Likely not more than a half dozen times per year. My local Airstream dealer assured me that the 3.2's would have more than enough power to do the job for me. They often set up smaller less powerful vehicles to tow even larger trailers. Just wanted to hear other's experiences towing with this model XC. For me I was looking for a good compromise between having enough power to tow safely but not pay the gas mileage penalty of a V8 motor ect. This vehicle will also be my daily driver so it had to make sense for the remainder of the year when not towing etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which flavor 3.2? FWD or AWD? the 2010s are rated 3970-4960, per the google machine. as you're planning on towing somewhat regularly, i would definitely plan on adding an additional transmission cooler.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 PM

Sorry forgot to mention that it is an awd model. I plan on looking into the additional tranny cooler but from what I have read and been told. Volvos in general do not need additional coolers unless they are towing heavy loads regularly or at least multiple times per month. There is some really good write ups on towing camper trailers on Can-Am rv's website. They are an Airstream dealer out of London ON Canada. They are also leading experts in setting up tow vehicles. Their owner writes for an RV'ing magazine about vehicles they have tested for towing etc.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnM 02 V70
Sorry forgot to mention that it is an awd model. I plan on looking into the additional tranny cooler but from what I have read and been told. Volvos in general do not need additional coolers unless they are towing heavy loads regularly or at least multiple times per month. There is some really good write ups on towing camper trailers on Can-Am rv's website. They are an Airstream dealer out of London ON Canada. They are also leading experts in setting up tow vehicles. Their owner writes for an RV'ing magazine about vehicles they have tested for towing etc.
per KBB your towing capacity is 3970lbs. If you are planning on towing semi-regularly and pushing the weight limit while doing so, the transmission will definitely benefit from additional cooling. I don't know what your mileage is, but as it was probably purchased new in 2009 i'm assuming i n the 75-100k range.

just make sure your hitch is rated for whatever weight you plan on hauling - there are a couple of classes out there that bolt up to the xc90

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Default Update on whether to add a tranny cooler.

Just wanted to update what I found out about setting my 2010 xc 90 AWD up for towing this season. First, I brought it to a reputable Transmission place in town and upon first glance he mistakenly thought that it might already have an auxiliary transmission cooler on it. After getting under the vehicle for closer inspection he determined that it didn't, but that the stock transmission cooling system is extremely robust (thick fluid lines). He ultimately advised against adding an additional system as they have thinner diameter cooling lines than comes stock in the xc 90's. By adding another system it will actually restrict the flow of the tranny fluid and possibly overheat the tranny faster than without adding a system. He further explained to me that most modern trucks and SUV's really do not need additional cooling systems due to how efficient the newer engines and transmissions are now at monitoring their temperature. Lastly, I called my local Volvo dealer and their service manager agreed with that opinion and advised me not to add an additional cooling system.

Last edited by ShawnM 02 V70; 05-07-2016 at 07:22 PM.