Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typing input to navigation system while car is moving (USA)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typing input to navigation system while car is moving (USA)

We are in the market for a new car and we recently test drove a new XC90 T6. The salesman told us the navigation system has limited manual entry input options when the car is in motion, like most US cars. I mean like being able to type an address...I know I can use voice commands, but that is of little interest to me...and of course I am talking about the passenger doing this, not the driver. The car we drove did not have the navigation system activated so I could not confirm what he told us. If what he said is true, this is a big negative for us; our Cadillac allows full use of the navigation system while the car is moving which is rare in the US, but something we really want.

The reason why I question the salesman, is that a few months ago we actually rented an XC90 from Avis. It was a wonderful experience and why we are interested in buying one for ourselves now. In that car, we had full use of the navigation system when the car was in motion. However, I don't know what year it was...I am guessing it was not a 2019 so I am wondering if something changed, or he is just plain wrong? I also downloaded the manual for the car and could find nothing, one way or the other in the manual.

I am only interested in answers from those in the USA (where the lawyers have as much control of auto design as the engineers). I know you can do what I am asking in all cars that are sold in Europe.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I just tried this on a 2019 and you can use the nav while driving.