Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining sound from accessory belt area

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whining sound from accessory belt area

I tried doing a search on here, Google and YouTube coming up a bit empty handed.

I have a 2005 XC90 2.5T FWD with a strange whine noise coming from the accessory belt area. It sounds like the power steering pump is low on fluid even though the level is fine. Turning the wheel side to side doesn't effect the noise one bit. Engine RPMs do and the sound increases until I get moving fast enough where road noise overwhelms it. It's a constant noise as long as the car is running.

Using the "screwdriver to ear" method there's a lot of noise coming from the power steering pump. Less from the alternator. Hard to put a screwdriver on a moving pulley so not sure about the idler.

My thoughts are the power steering pump might be on the way out or the idler pulley might be making noise. I've noticed the occasional "chirp" coming from under the hood before this whine started. Figured that could be the idler pulley. The one thing that perplexes me about it being the pump is that I'd expect the noise to change as I turned the wheel putting pressure on the steering system...but maybe not, I dunno.

Any thoughts? My next step is to carve out the time to pull the accessory belt off and do some wiggling and spinning to see what I come up with. I'd love to hear from anyone with a similar story. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's almost a year ago - but wondering how ses_volvo resolved the belt noise problem. I've got a similar situation with a 2005 XC90 4.4

Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

no telling if the symptoms are identical across the two cars. What you'd need to do is similar - ie use the mechanics stethescope approach to listen to components on the drive belt - PS pump (any sound changes turning side to side?), Alternator (any changes throwing on a full electric load - ie blower, rear defrost, high beams etc), AC compressor (changes when AC kicks on?), idler/tensioner wheel (listen with scope)? Also check PS level, and color of fluid. You can use a turkey baster to siphon out oil fluid, refill with fresh, turn side to side and repeat to get some clean fluid in the system to see if that helps (need to check the owners manual for required fluid type). If you still suspect idlers, you may need to remove the belt and hand feel the idlers and look for any signs of wear on the belt and on the wheels.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:08 AM

Unfortunately no. The sound is still there. No one here had much insight for me.

Not really getting worse, just more embarrassing when driving through parking lots. A LOT of people have informed me my car is making a weird noise that sounds like a shot power steering pump...gee, thanks.

I plan on replacing the pump with a used one. Junk yard has them for $50. A new one is somewhere between $Ridiculous and $Outrageous.

I'll post back to this thread and another one I started about the same issue when I do that.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi ses_volvo, I replaced the PS Pump to no avail. Same whining and stiffness at cold start up. Found a similar situation on the matthewsvolvosite and that guy's resolution was the O-Ring feeding the pump. Volvo P/N 988119. Surprisingly not shown on diagrams as a replacement part. Just ordered it and can't wait to try this fix. Yes - the embarrassment is worse than the actual problem. Have $700 into the pump swap out and am not a happy camper - currently.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 AM

*** UPDATE ***

Well, it's not the pump. Swapped it out and the sound is still there, no different.

Looks like I need to change the alternator pulley. Pretty excited about this since I get to remove the power steering pump AGAIN. Probably just going to replace the whole alternator while I'm in there. Will post another update when I get that done. Until then you'll be able to hear me coming, lol.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 AM

*** UPDATE ***

It was the alternator. Replaced it and we're back to normal. No more weird looks in parking lots. Well, at least not for that reason.

Here is a quick DIY of the process.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Having this same issue with my 2007. But the noise will not change with engine rpms.