Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wipers gave out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers gave out

2007 xc90 V8

windshield wipers gave out in a snow storm today, luckily i was only moving it to allow our driveway to get plowed.

checked the fuse in the engine compartment and the one for the washer pump under steering wheel. pretty much checked all fuses in those two locations plus the ones right inside the drivers door.

not that any of that matters cuz i can hear the motor going when i turn on the wipers.

splines on the arms are good to go. disconnected the battery to give that a shot too.

really hoping something in the linkages didn't break, both at once doesn't seem likely though.

any other thoughts and ideas?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 PM

twas the linkage. a nut had come loose and was just chilling there under the cowl (thankfully)

now if anyone could tell me how to properly reattach the wiper arms such that they are properly calibrated (ie. they don't try to go down into the cowl and wipe the whole windshield) that'd be just swell!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 PM

found the manual that includes the alignment procedure.

BASICALLY you disconnect linkage from motor, run wipers a few times then turn them off (puts motor in corrrect *down* position). Be sure the motor has stopped before you turn off the car. then reattach linkage maintaining alignment seen in diagram.

Volvo Workshop Manuals > XC90 AWD V8-4.4L VIN 85 B8444S (2005) > Wiper and Washer Systems > Wiper Motor Linkage > Component Information > Adjustments

small note: for me, the nut that held the control arm had fallen off. properly aligned, the linkage arms are parallel to and above the control arm...blocking the spline'd stud that comes up from the motor. luckily, there is space between the stud and the linkage arm to slip the nut over the stud and tighten with a wrench.

with that done, the motor and linkage are properly aligned. still need to play around with the alignment of the wiper arms. also currently have the longer arm wiping the passenger side, but it could easily be the other way around for all I know.

just glad i got this done b4 dark...have a lot of shoveling to do b4 work in the morning as it is