Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wonky bcm on 2004 xc90?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile wonky bcm on 2004 xc90?

So my obdii reader says that it cannot connect to my brake control module. i have an icarsoft volvo reader 906. The odometer is out, the cruise control is out. message is brake failure etc. This seemed to me like i would need to send the bcm in for repair to xemodex for about 400 bucks. What is odd is that a friend of mine suggested that i have the codes read by the brake repair place, which they did with a battery powered code reader more advanced than mine. After about 3 startups and a few miles driven, everything started working perfectly! It worked great for 5 miles until i turned the car off, and hasn't worked since. i have already opened up the bcm and checked the solder connections and there was no obvious cracks, so i bent the tabs over a bit, slapped some silicone on it reinstalled it but to no avail. My question is this, for those who may know about this more perfectly, What did the advanced code reader at the brake place do to make everything work perfectly and how can i replicate this to get my bcm working without the costly repair? Did it charge a capacitor in my bcm or something? Does anyone know if a faulty brake pedal sensor would disable the bcm from communicating with the diagnostic network? I am getting ecm-9400 Brake pedal sensor code and cem 1a5f communication with abs unit codes.
Any help is appreciated, or links of existing threads that address this expertly.

Last edited by Benjamin Peterson; 04-02-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Anyone, Bueller? . . . . Bueller?. . .

Old 04-06-2017, 02:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advanced code reader was just a bit more lucky then yours .

Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 AM

Hey. did you get som help with you car? i got a xc90 2003 with same problem .

Old 06-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Default Reply

You know, i never got it fixed. I just drive without abs odometer and cruise control for years but i think you can send your bcm to the company xemodex. It may cost 400 bucks? But if your bcm is not faulty they only charge you maybe 25 bucks and send it back. My concern was what if they find a problem with bcm but it doesnt fix the bigger problem? I also noticed that i dont have voltage to one of my abs fuses in the engine compartment so maybe it a wire problem? There was a rat nest in there when i bought the car. Anyway, i wish you the best and if you figure it out id appreciate hearing the results. I did hear that the dem sometimes interferes with the canbus network. You might try unplugging that at the differrential but dont get your hopes up too much. I think my problem is likely the bcm but im too cheap to fix it and because of the cars age i plan on driving it into the ground and only fix what i have to but maybe your financial situation is better than mine.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Default More

I did replace the brake pedal sensor but that solved nothing. I think that error code shows up because its on the network too. It was the cheaper place to start. A mechanic friend suggested i buy a new bcm from rockauto and pay the dealer to program it.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 AM

This sounds exactly like the symptoms my XC is showing , but , mine has taken it one step further. I tried to bleed the brakes using a pneumatic brake bleeder. Everything went well untill I got to the front left ( drivers side caliper ). I could not get any fluid at all to come out of this caliper. In doing some more checking , I found my ABS pump was not running at all - I got a lap top with Vida and a cable and found that I had no cuminucation with either the BCM or the ABS pump - Im going to take the abs pump/BCM off and send it to Xemodex this week , Ill share the results once I get it all back.