Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC 90 Stalling daily while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XC 90 Stalling daily while driving

Our XC90 2004 with 150,000 miles on it has been stalling out while driving. It starts back up again but it does this on the highway at normal driving speed. It does it 2 to 3 times a week and sometimes twice in the same day. We have taken it to the Volvo dealer and they say they can not find anything wrong with it. In my opinion, it is a major safety issue for myself those those driving with me on the highway. Any help appreciated.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Hi Penhookpete,

When you say stalling out, do you mean the vehicle goes dead abrubtly and then starts up again? Or do you experience a sputtering, a loss of power, the engine struggling to keep timing, and then it cuts out?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Stop by a auto parts store and have them check your battery, a drop in voltage can cause stalling. Not sure if your model has these issues but a failing fuel pump relay can cause random stalling issues with NO CEL.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 AM

If your vehicle cuts out quite suddenly, and starts up again (most of the time), I would agree with rspi about the fuel pump/ relay. This is the same problem I had a few years back. I had to replace fuel pump relay and did some re-wiring which had corroded.

I didn't know a dying battery (ie voltage irregularity) could cuase stalling..thanks for that rspi.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the info - wanted to reply to the mountain drivers question - the car dies - you have to pull over and stop car and then it starts right back up when you try. Not a good situation.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 PM

I had a similar problem with my 2004 XC90 stalling out while I was driving. I finally found that I had a huge hole in the fresh air hose. I replaced that and she has been perfect ever since!! :-)

Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Default Volvo XC90

Originally Posted by Stacey Stevens
I had a similar problem with my 2004 XC90 stalling out while I was driving. I finally found that I had a huge hole in the fresh air hose. I replaced that and she has been perfect ever since!! :-)
My daughter was driving her truck and it went dead while driving and didn't start back up. Its turning over but won't start. Can someone please help.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

"No Start" is a common problem, but of course it doesn't have common solutions. She'll have to get a mechanic on the scene that knows volvos. Could be something very simple.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
"No Start" is a common problem, but of course it doesn't have common solutions. She'll have to get a mechanic on the scene that knows volvos. Could be something very simple.
Thank you firebirdparts

Old 08-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Default Fuel Pump Relay

Originally Posted by mountain driver
If your vehicle cuts out quite suddenly, and starts up again (most of the time), I would agree with rspi about the fuel pump/ relay. This is the same problem I had a few years back. I had to replace fuel pump relay and did some re-wiring which had corroded.

I didn't know a dying battery (ie voltage irregularity) could cuase stalling..thanks for that rspi.
Hi mountain driver;330212, I am having the same issue can you tell me how to get the panel down where the switch is. We just changed the ignition switch, battery, starter relay switch, the fuel pump relay switch is the only one my mechanic can't get to. Thank you. I forgot to mention I have a 2004 xc90 also.

Last edited by KathyS; 08-06-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Default Engine Stalls

I am having the same problem in my 2007 XC90 however it does not stall on the highway it stalls at low speed and normally the turning left and facing downhill.... it does not like reversing uphill when cold and cuts out. Can anyone help

Old 12-31-2020, 07:39 PM
Exclamation 2008 C70 Intermittent stalling while driving

Thank you all for the hundreds of complaints and corrective suggestions for Volvos that stall while driving.
It is scary to be driving along and suddenly the engine is dead, no power steering, tractor trailer bearing down in the rear view mirror.

The diagnostic shows
3A05 - fuel pump signal too low
and
DE42 - Communication with CRM control mode signal missing

Volvo dealership suggests changing the fuel injectors ??
$1000 to buy parts and $1000 labor
AND no forum contributor cites fuel injectors as the reason !!

Going to change out the fuel regulator, valve and fuel relay
Any thoughts on that fix??

And does anyone have any clue as to how Volvo is getting away with NOT fixing a design problem that will kill me??

Thanks

Mike J

Old 01-01-2021, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by mikejulian
Thank you all for the hundreds of complaints and corrective suggestions for Volvos that stall while driving.
It is scary to be driving along and suddenly the engine is dead, no power steering, tractor trailer bearing down in the rear view mirror.

The diagnostic shows
3A05 - fuel pump signal too low
and
DE42 - Communication with CRM control mode signal missing

Volvo dealership suggests changing the fuel injectors ??
$1000 to buy parts and $1000 labor
AND no forum contributor cites fuel injectors as the reason !!

Going to change out the fuel regulator, valve and fuel relay
Any thoughts on that fix??

And does anyone have any clue as to how Volvo is getting away with NOT fixing a design problem that will kill me??

Thanks

Mike J
Having read countless responses to this problem a common thread seems to be air getting into the fuel system, I have tightened the idle air hose and checked for leaks to the Throttle body and idle air motor. I know fro my army days many years ago diesels do not like air in the system so would check all hoses and connections. I have spent $1000's at garages trying to sort this out and sealing the air supply seems to be working

Old 01-01-2021, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Skulster
Having read countless responses to this problem a common thread seems to be air getting into the fuel system, I have tightened the idle air hose and checked for leaks to the Throttle body and idle air motor. I know fro my army days many years ago diesels do not like air in the system so would check all hoses and connections. I have spent $1000's at garages trying to sort this out and sealing the air supply seems to be working
thank you .

I see that another writer said she fixed stalling problem by fixing hole in air hose.
i will check.
though Seems strange that an air problem sends those that diagnostic messages that seem electrical fuel system issues.
Pty

Old 08-15-2022, 03:56 PM

This may be a unique problem but the key fob for our volvo had broken and the mechanism that flips the key out of the fob couldnt hold any weight. This with the added weight of additional keys and keyrings meant that with any taps or movement from my leg whilst driving, the key would turn off the car, even whilst driving on the motorway at one point.

We have removed all additional keys and there has been no problems with stalling and switching off whilst driving.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:01 AM

My 2004 XC90 T6 AWD had a similar stalling issue until I found that the upper motor mount (which had failed) had knocked a big chunk out of the plastic turbo plenum, thus an air leak... Would idle down to 500 on deceleration and die. Fixed the hole in the plenum and replaced the upper motor mount, and works fine now.