Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 2016 D5 - Air suspension bad quality ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 2016 D5 - Air suspension bad quality ride

Hello guys!

I am having problems with my 2016 XC90 with optional air suspension. The car is riding on 20 inch wheels, as it came from the factory. Last year I have hit a small sign, damaging the front tire, headlight and bumper, nothing major. The car was repaired at the Volvo dealer but since then, the ride quality is not good at all. When I got it back, the car was leaning heavily from one side to another. Everybody driving it were afraid if the car will roll over, even at slow speeds. When changed from comfort to dynamic, the suspension stayed the same. Took it back to the dealer, they changed the software and said that all components of the suspension are in good shape.

When we got it back, it was better but not as it was before the small accident. We changed the tires, did the alingment..everything. Took it back to the dealer, they didnt seem to think that the ride quality isnt normal, everything was fine to them. Drove it a few months and again it started leaning more and more, so we took it to another Volvo dealer. And leaning is not the only thing problematic...the way it soaks up the bumps is just awful. I have got another 2008 ML with out air suspension, and the ride is just better (but it shouldnt be). The impacts on a bad road on the XC90 are hard, not soft as you would expect from the air suspension. You feel everything.

And at this point I just dont know what to do. Dealers cant find anything wrong with it, and I am actually thinking of selling the car.

Does any of you have any idea what the hell is going on?

Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to VF VolvoSLO

Don't know. Bump

Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately most mechanics today rely too heavily on computers. It sound like the electronics are either reporting no issues or are incapable of reporting issues in the first place.

i have limited experience with Volvo air suspension, however I understand the concept it employs. The system can look fine but if it’s not able to scan and adjust as quickly as it should it may repor to be functional but cause a slew of issues.

I would insist they replace the the front suspension parts under warranty. Specifically the air spring/strut. Remember they signed a contract to repair the damage caused by the accident. They have failed to do so. its now on them to fulfill their end of the bargain.