Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 cloudy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XC90 cloudy headlights

My 2004 XC90 T6 has cloudy/foggy headlight covers, so I want to buy new headlights. I found a pair of new headlight replacements (both left and right) on ebay at this link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Will these replacement headlights come with the clear plastic covers as well, or just the bulbs? Do they include everything I need to install them, or is there anything else I need? I know the picture looks like the whole thing, but I just wanted to confirm that. Also, I don't know if I have the high intensity xenon headlights, or just standard ones, but a while ago I took it to a volvo dealership about the foggy headlights and they said it would be around $1000 to replace them since we would also have to replace the power supplies as well. My headlights do seem like they are higher powered than normal because there is a somewhat blueish tint to the light, but they are really not that bright. In fact they are quite dim. I'm not sure if the headlights in that eBay link are the right ones. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM

I got my dads XC90 headlights looking a lot better with a headlight kit. you basically buff out the scratches with a power drill add on the polish them and they look like new.

But by looking at those lights I think they are just the clear plastic cover and the reflective part. I wouldn't think you would have to replace the power supply. you should be able to salvage you old power supply and bulbs from the old units.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 AM

you have oem HID, i'd buy the new non hid head lamps and put a aftermarket kit in it or swap over the oem hid kit. bring it to a shop and have them do it.

dont waste money on the cleaners, waste of time and money

Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM

the cleaners really are the poor mans solution. theyre not the best but they look a lot better

Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the headlight cover on my 2004 xc90 polished by my Volvo dealer last summer. They did the work for $30. The headlights look like new and have stayed that way ever since.

I would check to see if your local dealer or detail shop can do the work. A lot less money and trouble than replacing the headlights. Especially if you have HIDs.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM

does anyone have a good headlight kit to recommend?

I bought the 3M headlight reconditioning kit from Pep Boys for $30 bucks. there are various sanding attachments that goes on to your drill and some polish after that. I did this to my XC90, and while it did look better, it definitely still did not look new. Now, over a year later, the headlight is very foggy again. I'm looking for a do-it-yourself kit that has the right things i need to make it look new again.

Any info or suggestions is most appreciated!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by CaliVolvo
does anyone have a good headlight kit to recommend?

I bought the 3M headlight reconditioning kit from Pep Boys for $30 bucks. there are various sanding attachments that goes on to your drill and some polish after that. I did this to my XC90, and while it did look better, it definitely still did not look new. Now, over a year later, the headlight is very foggy again. I'm looking for a do-it-yourself kit that has the right things i need to make it look new again.

Any info or suggestions is most appreciated!
The 3M kit WILL make them look brand new, you just have to TAKE YOUR TIME and don't be scared at the begining when it's taking a ton of plastic off. My XC90's headlights looked like they were covered in yellow boogers, and a couple hours later with the kit and they look absolutely brand new. Best $25 ever! Folow the instructions, and don't be afraid to remove alot of material with the sanding wheels. You need to cut through all the bad plastic and get to virgin plastic in order to have the final product look new. I'd pick up a new kit, bring your headlights inside the house, and turn on a movie. Use plenty of water in a spray bottle too, that makes a huge difference as well.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PO of my XC90 hit a deer leading to only one headlight being replaced. As you'd imagine one new light and one old light looks like crap. I used the following method on my XC90 and my wife's 325i. It worked great for both.

DIY: Restoring Headlights with New UV coating - MY350Z.COM Forums

Keep in mind if you use any of the many restoration methods you need to seal the plastic again with something. Otherwise you'll be in the same situation within a year.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Default Polish Works

I used the 3M kit on my 2004 XC90 headlights with excellent results. The only caveat I can offer is to be VERY careful around the paint; the abrasives will take the paint off a lot faster than the scratches.

Follow the directions and take your time. The more time you spend the better the results will be. My after results are quite good; practically factory new.