Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 Fault After replacing radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 2003 model Fault After replacing radio

Please I need help with my Volvo XC90, 2003 model . My central locks, remote key locks, roof inner lights not working.

Last edited by Davuchy; 08-23-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

check for blown fuses - Owners manual will show the various fuse boxes. Online version is here: https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/own...owners-manuals

Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 AM
Default XC90 Fault After replacing radio

Originally Posted by mt6127
check for blown fuses - Owners manual will show the various fuse boxes. Online version is here: https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/own...owners-manuals
I checked all the fuse and they are all ok. I still have the problem.

I even disconnected the battery head overnight still have the problem.

Last edited by Davuchy; 08-24-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you replace the radio with a Volvo radio (like from a scrap yard) or is it a non-Volvo product?

Old 08-27-2019, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by eapowers64
Did you replace the radio with a Volvo radio (like from a scrap yard) or is it a non-Volvo product?
No the radio is not a volvo product. It's a universal touch screen radio with reverse camera. I bought the radio with a trim kit to fit into the radio compartment. after installing the radio, both the radio and the reverse camera worked but my central locks, remote key locks, roof inner lights even volume control button on the steering are not working.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be that the MOST system is unhappy about not having the Infotainment Control Module (i.e. the display component of the old radio) still in the loop. I think that other who have replaced their radios have taken the operational part of the ICM out, plugged it back into the MOST system, and just stuffed it back behind the new radio under the dashboard. You need to do a little more searching on this particular issue. Just out of curiosity, how is the new radio tied into the speakers and amp?

Old 09-25-2019, 12:21 PM

also the trafigator lights, Air condition are not working only the ac fan is blowing.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Default The Fault finally resolved

Dear EAPOWERS64, thanks alot for your help. I reconnected the operational part of the ICM and everything came back to normal. Thanks for your help. You guys are good.

Originally Posted by eapowers64
It may be that the MOST system is unhappy about not having the Infotainment Control Module (i.e. the display component of the old radio) still in the loop. I think that other who have replaced their radios have taken the operational part of the ICM out, plugged it back into the MOST system, and just stuffed it back behind the new radio under the dashboard. You need to do a little more searching on this particular issue. Just out of curiosity, how is the new radio tied into the speakers and amp?

Old 10-20-2019, 11:29 AM

Dear eapowers64, thanks a lot for the information. I followed your instructions by plugging back the operational part of the ICM and stuffed it behind the new radio under the dashboard and the problems I had was solved. Thanks alot my friend. You guys are good.

best regards.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 XC90 AM/FM was intermittantly cutting out, now dead

I had issues with AM/FM intermittently stopping, while CD was working fine, so not a power issue even though I checked fuses and power to radio was fine. Now the display will light for a second, then go out, CD works, but radio will not come on anymore. I replaced the capacitors as one suggested might be problem, no luck.

I bought another radio from same year from junkyard, and this one doesn't even light up display, so one suggested radios are not compatible and have to be programmed by dealer? I researched security codes, but the display does not light, so I have no idea if it is asking for code or it needs to be programmed as others say. Can't seem to get a consistent answer. Anyone have an idea if radios need reprogramming, or do displays show off or code on this model. I know other radios say code or off, so anyone know if this model needs security code. I know I had battery issued and I never had a radio code needed, radio always worked after dead battery for long period of time.
Thanks,

Old 02-11-2020, 07:04 PM

You REMOVED THE VOLVO RADIO DIDN'T YOU????
That is the problem.
The Radio Face is the Body Control Module. You can't REMOVE THAT .I hope you did not cut wires.
The actual radio is in the Amp under the passenger seat.

Watch on You Tube: "How to replace the radio in Volvo XC90"
Great Video

I installed a 7" DD in my XC90. no problems but I watched the video first.
STEREO SHOPS DO NOT KNOW VOLVO's and will mess you up bad

Old 02-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Default Xc90 radio am/fm issues

Originally Posted by FREE-PPV
I had issues with AM/FM intermittently stopping, while CD was working fine, so not a power issue even though I checked fuses and power to radio was fine. Now the display will light for a second, then go out, CD works, but radio will not come on anymore. I replaced the capacitors as one suggested might be problem, no luck.

I bought another radio from same year from junkyard, and this one doesn't even light up display, so one suggested radios are not compatible and have to be programmed by dealer? I researched security codes, but the display does not light, so I have no idea if it is asking for code or it needs to be programmed as others say. Can't seem to get a consistent answer. Anyone have an idea if radios need reprogramming, or do displays show off or code on this model. I know other radios say code or off, so anyone know if this model needs security code. I know I had battery issued and I never had a radio code needed, radio always worked after dead battery for long period of time.
Thanks,
UPDATE:
Having searched high and low and getting a lot of bad information, and no solutions, I changed radio head again and have same issue, no radio AM/FM but CD works fine. So needing the radio reprogrammed is not the issue, apparently there are two different radio models, even in same year of production. They are not interchangeable, so if you look at sticker, one says made in Japan and the other is Ireland. So some said call dealer and they will tell you which radio will work in your vehicle, but it is easier to look at stickers, just a time saving tip.
So as it appears no programming is needed, this will save you trip to dealer and dropping over a $100. for them to diagnose it is not a programming issue. Save your money is best advice, so when replacing radio head, make sure they are both manufactured in same country.

OK, since first post, I pulled amplifier, thankfully no water in well under unit, dry as a bone as I stay on top of cleaning drain tubes from sunroof and the cowl drains. Was getting MOST signal at radio, CD and AMP, so appears not to be an issue with broken fiber optics. I pulled read AM/FM antenna tuner unit, also getting most signal, power, so my question is, what symptoms are their if this unit is bad, is it only related to radio playing, which I assume using common sense, something Volvo engineers have none of. Anyone know if these units are an issue with just radio not working, dead silence, screen lights for a second then goes out, but again CD works fine.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM

the Radio Head in the dash is nothing but the display; it is however the body control module inside that display. Everything there including the station buttons must remain with the head. By changing the head you have changed the Body Control Module. The Amp under the seat is the radio itself. Go to an independent Volvo Shop and have them Vida Scan your system.; they will find out what the problem is. You may need to put your radio head back in. The dealers may just try and get your money.