Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 High Desity Xenon headlights (HID)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 High Desity Xenon headlights (HID)

hi guys!

may I know has anyone installed HID headlights to their XC90 ? I've just bought a used '04 XC90 and it doesn't come with factory Xenon.

I believe I'm looking at H7 (headlights) and H1 (Fog lights) please correct me if I'm wrong.

Will there be error code if I install the set ? ie. do I need voltage converter ?

Are there things I need to beware of before buying?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM

I would suggestt the company VVME for the HIDs. I use them, and they are supurb in quality. A lot of Audi fans use it. Although if you do buy them, see if you can grab some HID blockers, as I have seen many cars running them without shields and it just sends light to everyone. Perhaps you have the money to pick up the upgraded projector ones.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM

I added aftermarket HID's to my 06 xc90.

Looks like for 2004, low beam=H11, high beam=H7, fogs=H1
see here: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm
------------------------------------------------
That was the easy part. The hard part is trying to avoid the BOW (bulb out warning) (aka error code) on the dash board.
In my research, it appears that there is no sure way to ensure elimination of the BOW. A couple of criteria which may help:
1) get a 55W HID kit (as opposed to 35W)--this higher voltage more closely mimics the higher voltage of stock halogen bulbs, so less likely triggering the BOW.
2)a ballast that is partially ANALOG (not fully digital) may also help. Analog ballasts are the old style, so may not be readily available anymore.
3)a separate wiring harness (direct wire from HID system to battery with in-line fuse and relay) may cause BOW. Though a separate wiring harness is generally desirable (fused/relayed system), I personally installed this harness, and BOW (error code) went 'on'. When I removed the harness, the BOW resolved.

I got my kit from DDMtuning.com
I got the 4300K color H11 55W kit (most closely resembles stock Volvo HID color).
I got their old Analog 55W kit--and all's well. No BOW.
Must say, that the beam pattern is not great, but there's a lot of light on the road.
Despite the potential for glare, I've never been flashed.

good luck

Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 AM

Thanks guys!

May I know whats a HID blocker? I do afraid the glare will affect other road users, and a projector set is way too dear for consideration.

MIK911 do you have a picture of your 4300k on your XC90 ?

Also are there ways to clear up the smoggy headlamp housing ? the plastic is fading...

cheers!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

A blocker or shield is a home-made piece of aluminum mounted under the HID bulb, to produce a sharp cut-off in the light pattern. Similar to this:
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20195

Depending on how 'foggy' your lens covers are, it may help to use a "headlamp plastic polish", available at most auto parts stores. I've used it on my previous car, and it worked pretty well. Worth a try, it's only a few $ for a bottle.

Here's a pic of mine:

Attached Thumbnails XC90 High Desity Xenon headlights (HID)-volvohidfog.jpg  

Last edited by MIK911; 08-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:14 PM

Fading plastic will cause much more glare. Also, most bulb styles (such as D2R) come with glare sheilds already set in place. See if you can get one of those

Old 08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Default volvo XC90 oem xenon kit

i think you can choose oem xenon part

like this.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MIK911

That was the easy part. The hard part is trying to avoid the BOW (bulb out warning) (aka error code) on the dash board.
In my research, it appears that there is no sure way to ensure elimination of the BOW. A couple of criteria which may help:
1) get a 55W HID kit (as opposed to 35W)--this higher voltage more closely mimics the higher voltage of stock halogen bulbs, so less likely triggering the BOW.
2)a ballast that is partially ANALOG (not fully digital) may also help. Analog ballasts are the old style, so may not be readily available anymore.
3)a separate wiring harness (direct wire from HID system to battery with in-line fuse and relay) may cause BOW. Though a separate wiring harness is generally desirable (fused/relayed system), I personally installed this harness, and BOW (error code) went 'on'. When I removed the harness, the BOW resolved.

I got the 4300K color H11 55W kit (most closely resembles stock Volvo HID color).
Must say, that the beam pattern is not great, but there's a lot of light on the road.

good luck
Do you still have the same HID setup in your XC90? Have you experienced any complaints from oncoming traffic? I know originally you posted that you hadn't, but it's been a while since you posted that statement. My headlamps are in great shape and the lenses aren't foggy, but my biggest concern is causing glare to oncoming traffic.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by smith401
Do you still have the same HID setup in your XC90? Have you experienced any complaints from oncoming traffic? I know originally you posted that you hadn't, but it's been a while since you posted that statement. My headlamps are in great shape and the lenses aren't foggy, but my biggest concern is causing glare to oncoming traffic.
Thread necromancy asking someone who hasn't posted in almost 2 years a question? Awesome.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you have to replace the headlight assemblies because with the XEON the reflector is much more focused where as the halogen ballast is more spread out? because I've seen people put XENON kits in without changing the ballast and their beam is shining everywhere mainly into oncoming traffics eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong. and again correct me if im wrong you'd have to program the day time running lights to be off because i had a C5 (Audi A6) with the Xenon and i always put my lights on it's a safety thing anyway with having my lights on all the time the heat from the sun and the heat from the bulb melted the ballast and cause fading and glare like what you guys are talking about.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 PM

I got my kit from manyadeal.com

good luck

Old 01-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Default Upgrade 35w to 55w HID's?

Hi, I want to upgrade my 06 xc90 which came with factory HID 35w. The "high beam" is awful at night while driving outside the city. The bulbs were
Changed recently and are both in good order and haven't dimmed or lost intensity for city driving.

It seems the lights simply "tilt" from low to high beam from my observations.

Any suggestions?

Kelly

Originally Posted by MIK911

good luck