Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 ICM module repair/replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 ICM module repair/replacement question

The radio/CD audio system on my 2005 XC90 2.5T recently died - when pushed power button, nothing is turned on. I rarely used it, so I don't know exact time when it failed. As a result, the backup sensors also stopped working, as I heard the alert sound comes from the audio system.

I went to the dealer shop and they diagnosed the issue to be the bad ICM module. They gave me a quote of US $1,200 to put in a new one. However, they mention, due to the bad ICM, they cannot test if any other parts connected to it are functional, ie, if the backup sensors are still good - they may or may not work when the new ICM installed.

I don't know much about car mechanics and would like to check the forum to see if anyone has any experience with the ICM module issues. How serious is the problem? Should I go for a fix asap? Will the sensors work after the new ICM installed? The dealer shop called Volvo US and Volvo is willing to contribute $300 to the repair cost. Is this type of failure common for XC90s? I have just over 70k miles and have been following all maintainance schedules. Do you think maybe I should ask Volvo to contribute more (50-50 split) as I read through the post, it seems not that common issue.

Thanks in advance for help!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM

I know very little also. But my ICM also recently failed. We sucked it up and replaced it (since we don't have the money for a new car that is actually reliable).

Then a week later, the speakers started cutting out. (this was how it all started). We took it in, and now they said the Audio Module needs to be replaced! Worthless piece of ....

So I don't know what to say, except that these parts seem to be quite faulty and very expensive to replace.

I explored having an aftermarket system put in, to totally replace the volvo piece of junk, and I didn't proceed with that, since it would have cost even more and would have to start over with new speakers, new amp, etc.

Now am wishing I had done that, not knowing that an Audio Module would fail, right after the ICM failed.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not think they will contribute any more, but you can try. The CD player itself though is a separate module than the ICM, and there are others connected to it as well. It is called the MOST network and runs on fiberoptics, you may have other problems.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Same problems on our '04 XC90 2.5T. When we ordered ours in '03, we didn't order the Nav or the DVD, just the mid range audio system integrated w/ parking assist and CD changer. First to go was the display last year, quoted $1000 to fix at dealer so we didn't fix as the radio and CD changer still worked and we memorized the presets over 6+ years of owning it. Here is the spooky thing to mention to our fellow forum followers, now the radio power button only sporadically works and volume has become randomized with no manual override to shut if off when it goes berserk! Just today my wife was driving into the hospital to treat a kid and the speakers suddenly went to full volume which made it next to impossible to drive due to the pain. Had to pull over, pushing power, turning the volume *** had no affect. So, turned the car off and still no affect, possessed XC90 blasting NPR Wait-Wait-Don't Tell Me! The car blasted away at maximum volume for 30 seconds until the radio finally turned off for whatever reason. We've sent a message to Volvo NA and seriously warn folks that this could be a significant risk to your driving safety especially to young drivers, or those who have infants or small children onboard, or the elderly who could become completely discombobulated under these conditions.

I remember Audi and Toyota suffered greatly from "Unintended Acceleration", IMHO "Unintended Maximum Volume" is just as scary.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Default xc90 ICM

Just to let you know that my xc90 cd player and rear sensor would both stop working randomly. One day they would both work and the next they would not. I had a mechanic look at it and he could not figure it out. I took it to a Volvo dealer and they told me that the audio system needed a software upgrade and charged me $100 for that. They also said that this upgrade may not solve the problem and that I would need the Audio Control Module replaced at $1700. Needless to say that the software upgrade did not work and we are still having the intermitent problems with the cd player only and back up sensors.

I feel your pain and am still looking for answers myself

Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Has anyone tried used modules from a salvage yard? Dealership would still have to make it happy, but it's gotta be cheaper than new parts.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a salvaged one from eBay seller volvopartsonly for $247 plus $12 shipping. I installed it myself today, and it is working like a champ!

This is part of a larger saga that I am describing in a separate thread.

If you want to go the used route, be careful to get the right one. There are at least two varieties of ICM. Mine was the so-called matrix display that works with the premium sound. Also, the installation is fairly straight forward but there are a couple of tricks. Let me know if you need advice.

At least in my case, no programming was needed--plug and play.

Dan

The following users liked this post:
Elvis (05-08-2020)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Default Used ICM installation tips?

Heaviside, I got the numeric version from the same seller yesterday..

Just curious if it'll be truly a plug and play replacement. I hope I won't have to visit the dealership for any programming, etc. and everything will keep working. (At the moment everything works except the display).

Anyway, if you have any tips/gotchas regarding the replacement, please let me now.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Heaviside
I bought a salvaged one from eBay seller volvopartsonly for $247 plus $12 shipping. I installed it myself today, and it is working like a champ!

This is part of a larger saga that I am describing in a separate thread.

If you want to go the used route, be careful to get the right one. There are at least two varieties of ICM. Mine was the so-called matrix display that works with the premium sound. Also, the installation is fairly straight forward but there are a couple of tricks. Let me know if you need advice.

At least in my case, no programming was needed--plug and play.

Dan

Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Heaviside,

I have a matrix display on order from volvopartsonly. Thanks for the recommendation. You said there were some tricks to replacing the matrix, wondering what advice you might have. May try and do myself once i get the parts. Seen several online videos and it seems pretty straightforward.

What did you do for a radio security code? Did the new unit come with one or did you have to get it based on the serial number of the new(used) radio?

Thanks for the post.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by NoVA_XC90
Heaviside,

I have a matrix display on order from volvopartsonly. Thanks for the recommendation. You said there were some tricks to replacing the matrix, wondering what advice you might have. May try and do myself once i get the parts. Seen several online videos and it seems pretty straightforward.

What did you do for a radio security code? Did the new unit come with one or did you have to get it based on the serial number of the new(used) radio?

Thanks for the post.
As it was explained to me by a Volvo mechanic, the ICM software is not vehicle specific. Therefore, as long as you have the correct ICM part number, and it has software installed (which is the case if you buy used), it should work.

Good luck,

Dan

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

I had sent the following to a couple of you by PM, but I decided to post it here as there seems to be a fair amount of interest in this topic.

How to remove/replace the ICM.
Lift up the plastic trim around the gear shift lever. Once it's raised up, you can unsnap the inner piece of trim, allowing you to remove the outer piece. This will expose four torx screws at the base of climatecontrol. Remove the bottom two screws. SET THE PARKING BRAKE. Unlock the shift lever with the ignition key and move it as far back as possible (engine off, of course). Pull the climate control/ICM unit out from the bottom first, which allows you to disengage it at the top.

There should be enough slack in the cables to allow you to move the entire housing assembly to the right enough to put the shifter back in Park and turn off the key. Don't disconnect the cables from the back of the unit with the key on, or you will latch SRS/Airbag messages that can't be cleared without the dealer's computer.

Disconnect all the cables from the back of the ICM, climate control, and cigarette lighter. I found that a spoon was helpful to depress the plastic latch on the side of the connectors.

Remove the entire unit from the car and bring it in the house. My memory is a little fuzzy at this step. I think I removed the other two torx screws at the bottom, and there were some plastic latches. Then you can separate the climate control from the ICM. There may be a couple more screws involved. It should be clear to you once you get it apart.

Volvopartsonly sold me the whole ICM including the buttons, so I just popped the new one in and reversed the steps. If you end up getting just display/pc board, there are a few additional steps involved in separating the parts of the ICM, but you probably won't need to do that. If you do, I can give you additional guidance.

Remember, when reassembling, don't turn the key on until you've got everything reconnected on the back of the climate control and ICM.

I hope this is helpful to the group.

Dan

Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Default Swapping ICM Display

So, are you disconnecting the battery first or just changing the unit out with the ignition off.

I have not had to mess with the battery but if I recall it is somewhere in the rear hatch area.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM

So, are you disconnecting the battery first or just changing the unit out with the ignition off.

I have not had to mess with the battery but if I recall it is somewhere in the rear hatch area.

Thanks.
Probably it's a good idea to disconnect the battery. You can do just the negative black cable. It's under the floor near the tailgate and is not hard to get to.

Dan

Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 AM

How was the installation of the ICM in your XC90? I have a 2004 XC90 with a failed ICM. Volvo of North America offered a 20% parts only coupon after I sent a very even handed, persuasive letter. Wow. I'd consider the used route, but a new ICM can be had for $600. Tough choice. Thanks for the insight on the installation.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Default Update on ICM Replacement

So I got the first ICM Matrix from Volvo Online Parts, got it installed and nothing worked. Took it to my local shop to see if it needed reprogramming, but they showed me that the ICM was not being recognized and could not be programmed. Also, no power or dash lights came on with the matrix display, so we're working the angle that the used ICM is bad. I just got the replacement in yesterday, so I will try and get it installed over the weekend and see what happens. The original replacement unit was out of a 2004, while mine is a 2005. I talked with Patrick at Volvo Parts Online and he was going to try and send a replacement from a 2005 model.

I'll let you know if this resolves the problem.

Anybody have any experience with non-functioning replacements?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM

So I got the first ICM Matrix from Volvo Online Parts, got it installed and nothing worked. Took it to my local shop to see if it needed reprogramming, but they showed me that the ICM was not being recognized and could not be programmed. Also, no power or dash lights came on with the matrix display, so we're working the angle that the used ICM is bad. I just got the replacement in yesterday, so I will try and get it installed over the weekend and see what happens. The original replacement unit was out of a 2004, while mine is a 2005. I talked with Patrick at Volvo Parts Online and he was going to try and send a replacement from a 2005 model.

What I would do is disconnect the ICM CAN connector and jumper the CAN wires on the back side of the connector--white to white and green to green. Have all the other connectors installed before you turn on the ignition switch to prevent airbag messages.

If everything else works, you know it's the ICM that is the culpret. If not, you need to do more troubleshooting. Patrick seldom sends out parts that are not good, so I'm worried your problem may lie with the CEM, DIM, or a door module.

Let me know how you make out.

Dan

Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM

I replaced the 'numeric' display I got from Patrick and it worked fine. I was surprised that even the preset radio stations were intact after the replacement. The background light of several buttons (almost half of them) are not working so I'll have to see if I can fix those by replacing the bulbs from the original unit.

You're sure you have the matrix display and not the numeric one (that displays the text 'High Performance Sound' when turned on) right?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Default 2nd Matrix ICM installed and working

Received the replacement ICM from Patrick and got it installed this weekend. Worked great, no problems. This Matrix ICM did have the same model number as the original one (there are a couple of different par numbers for the matrix display).

So, my problem solved and $600 plus saved..

Thanks for all the input and suggestions here, I do appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Default where to buy ICM module for my XC90?

I have the same problem, that the ICM module is defect and I will not spend $1,000+ for replacement.
Any source, where I can find it?
don't tell me to g00gle for it, because this wasn't sucessful.

any help is appreciated.

thank you.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Check out Volvopartsonly on ebay. That's where I got my replacement ICM. Good customer service, sent out a replacement for a Matrix ICM that didn't work. Would definitely recommend.

Quick Reply: XC90 ICM module repair/replacement question