Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 mk1 cuts out when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024 | 03:35 AM
|
Default XC90 mk1 cuts out when driving

My 2011 XC90 D5 auto cut out while driving. Coasted to a stop and the car would not start with the key, despite the engine cranking. I waited a few minutes and it started. However, going over 20mph, the car would cut out again. I called the AA and the chap said there were no error codes, but said the fuel pump was making odd noises. I limped home keeping under 15mph, with the AA van behind me. The car cut out again when going up hills, as I guess I was pushing the engine harder. Again, after a few minutes it would start again. The AA guy said it sounded like the fuel pump was the fault.
I replaced the fuel pump and was hopeful that it fixed the issue, getting up to 30mph on my first test run, however, the engine lacked power and cut out again after a few minutes of driving. Same thing. waited a few minutes and go it going again and manage to crawl home.
So it looks like the car cuts out when something get hot, but even when running is low on power. It may also be a pressure related issue. However, with no error codes I am a bit stuck. I have read various posts which talk about fuel relay, fuel filter and injector, but not sure if any of these would be the cause of this problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Update. I used my car scanner which flagged up some new codes.Car Scanner ELM OBD2

P0002

Raw code: 0002

ECU: 10

Fuel volume regulator control - circuit range/performance

============2==============

P0089

Raw code: 0089

Fuel pressure regulator 1 - performance problem

============3==============

P0001

Raw code: 0001

Fuel volume regulator control - open circuit

Last edited by carlm; 05-05-2024 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Added update
Old 05-07-2024 | 01:35 AM
|
Default Anyone

Can anyone help with this please

Old 05-07-2024 | 06:00 AM

Does your car have a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail? I had similar symptoms and the code that came up suggested this sensor was malfunctioning. I replaced it and the problem has not been present for a week or two now. I just don’t know about the diesel Engine and whether the sensor is present.

Old 05-15-2024 | 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by carlm
My 2011 XC90 D5 auto cut out while driving. Coasted to a stop and the car would not start with the key, despite the engine cranking. I waited a few minutes and it started. However, going over 20mph, the car would cut out again. I called the AA and the chap said there were no error codes, but said the fuel pump was making odd noises. I limped home keeping under 15mph, with the AA van behind me. The car cut out again when going up hills, as I guess I was pushing the engine harder. Again, after a few minutes it would start again. The AA guy said it sounded like the fuel pump was the fault.
I replaced the fuel pump and was hopeful that it fixed the issue, getting up to 30mph on my first test run, however, the engine lacked power and cut out again after a few minutes of driving. Same thing. waited a few minutes and go it going again and manage to crawl home.
So it looks like the car cuts out when something get hot, but even when running is low on power. It may also be a pressure related issue. However, with no error codes I am a bit stuck. I have read various posts which talk about fuel relay, fuel filter and injector, but not sure if any of these would be the cause of this problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Update. I used my car scanner which flagged up some new codes.Car Scanner ELM OBD2

P0002

Raw code: 0002

Fuel volume regulator control - circuit range/performance

============2==============

P0089

Raw code: 0089

Fuel pressure regulator 1 - performance problem

============3==============

P0001

Raw code: 0001

Fuel volume regulator control - open circuit
Given these codes, it's worth checking the fuel system thoroughly. Alongside the fuel pump replacement, look at the fuel relay, filter, and injectors. Check the fuel lines for leaks or damage. Make sure all connections are secure and clean.

If possible, test the fuel pressure to see if it's in the right range.

Sometimes, bad fuel can cause problems. If you recently filled up from a different gas station or suspect low-quality fuel, consider draining the tank and refilling it with good fuel.

Also, check all electrical connections related to the fuel system.

Old 05-16-2024 | 02:33 AM
|

Thanks for that. I have replaced the fuel pressure sensor, but no change unfortunately.

Old 05-16-2024 | 02:38 AM
|

Thanks for that. I have replaced the fuel filter as well now. I think the issue is heat related as when the car cuts out, it won't start for 1-2 minutes. Then it starts again, still giving the same problems though.
All the connectors I have seen so far seem ok. I can't see evidence of a split or leaking fuel pipe either.
In a past life in electronics, I found when an electronic component is on the way out, it can fail when it heats up. With this in mind, and your suggestion about the relay, I am planning to replace the PEM.

Does anyone know where the PEM is located in a 2011 XC90? I have checked behind the wheel arch liner, but it's not there. Also checked next to the fuel filter and on top of the tank, but can't see it there either. Having removed the 2nd row of seats, I know it's not under them.
It may be under the third row of seats, but that is a real pain to take out, so need to be sure it is located there before starting that job.

Last edited by carlm; 05-18-2024 at 05:30 AM.