Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 PEM / FCU replacement tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, i have the same problem but the pem is not there

Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PEM Location

Originally Posted by Fernando Sanchez
Hello, i have the same problem but the pem is not there
If it is not in front of rear passenger wheel, then someone relocated it, usually under rear seat area, but could be out of site, but has to be somewhere for vehicle cannot run without it.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:37 PM
Default never find

hello guys, after many attempts to want to find the PEM in my XC90 2017 and not find it, and knowing that the problem was that there was no current to the fuel pump, (look inside the car even until you reach the dashboard behind the glove compartment, lower the fuel tank, look at the two rear dashboards) I decided to look for a switch current in the fuse box under the steering wheel and carry a line that connects to the BLUE wire (current) that reaches the pump and ready, my auto works perfectly, it should be noted that the PEM regulates the speed of the fuel pump and therefore the pressure with which it works, now only works at 100

Old 01-31-2020, 01:56 PM

Having fuel issues with 2011 xc90 V8. Fuel pressure sensor has been replaced. Fuel pump runs when jumped. I want to replace the PEM next before taking it to the dealer. Is it located in the right rear wheel well on this model year? I have heard that it may be necessary to have the PEM programed by the dealer. Is there any truth to this or should a used one from the junkyard or ebay be plug and play?

Old 01-31-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2011XC90TN
Having fuel issues with 2011 xc90 V8. Fuel pressure sensor has been replaced. Fuel pump runs when jumped. I want to replace the PEM next before taking it to the dealer. Is it located in the right rear wheel well on this model year? I have heard that it may be necessary to have the PEM programed by the dealer. Is there any truth to this or should a used one from the junkyard or ebay be plug and play?
Don't need to program the PEM

Old 02-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the response Mickdaddy. Do you know where the PEM is located on the 2011? Any idea why they would tell me it had to be programed other than blowing Swedish smoke up my ****?

Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM

My 2006 xc90 PEM was under middle passenger side seat, under carpet etc...
i replaced my PEM didn't have it programmed.
what eventually fixed my problem was replacing fuel pump. I really can't say for sure PEMs don't need programming. I'm a decent mechanic, but not a professional. When in doubt, I used a local pro to diagnose my Volvo. Programming parts, or not, on Volvo's is can be a mystery. I replaced my throttle body, forums guy a service writer for Volvo dealer out of CA said throttle body didn't need programming, local dealer said it did, in the end, local dealer admitted they were wrong... but in the ultimate end (pun intended) I had to put in a new ECM for $2000 (that needed programming).
that was a few years ago... other problems have raised their ugly f'n head... I got rid of the money pit.
will NEVER own a Volvo again. Sorry for the negative response, but having to give in to the only local dealer has soured me big with this brand of car.
good luck to you.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Default Pem

Originally Posted by ses_volvo
I'm posting this tutorial because finding XC90 specific information on the web for this was pretty limited. This covers the removal and replacement of the Fuel Control Unit (FCU) also known as the Pump Electronic Module (PEM). From here on out I'll refer to it as the PEM.

First let me share what led to me replacing this on my XC90. I was having intermittent hesitation issues. It began as slight intermittent hesitation on the highway to the car stalling and eventually not starting leaving me stranded. See the following thread for more information:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...y-ideas-70511/

Car:
2005 XC90 / 2.5T / FWD

Codes:
P0089 (fuel pressure regulator)
P2177 (system too lean off idle)
P0087 (fuel rail pressure too low)

Interventions:
1. Replaced the fuel pressure sensor (no change)
2. Replaced spark plugs (no change)
3. Replaced fuel filter (car ran perfectly for a few weeks, self clearing the CEL)
4. Ran some Seafoam cleaner through a tank of gas (car continued to run fine)
5. Cleaned MAF (no change)
6. Replaced fuel pump (no change)

The car would run fine after sitting for a few days making me think whatever I replaced fixed the issue only to have the issue resurface within a week or so. This finally lead to the one thing I hadn't looked at yet which was the PEM.

Removal and Replacement of the PEM

1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before you begin.

2. Jack the passenger rear side of the car up and remove the passenger rear wheel.

3. Remove the two plastic nuts that hold the wheel well liner in place with a 10mm socket.

4. The PEM is located behind the front portion of the wheel well liner. You have to carefully peel it away from the plastic moulding. Once free I closed the back door on the liner to keep it out of my way while working.

Attachment 17018

Attachment 17019

5. The PEM sits in a bracket that's attached to the chassis. Get your fingers behind the bracket to work it free.

Attachment 17020

6. Remove the PEM from the bracket and unplug the electrical connection. If yours is corroded like mine was this will take patience and time. Just keep working the plug back and forth until it lets loose. In fact I ended up breaking the locking tab before getting it apart.

7. Check your plug connections to see if they're corroded. If it is (like mine was) take a little time to remove the corrosion with something abrasive making sure not to damage the plug. This will help ensure a good connection.

Attachment 17021

Attachment 17022

Attachment 17023

8. Plug in new PEM, replace in old bracket and reattach to the chassis.
NOTE: There is a way to relocate the PEM to the interior of the car. I decided against this. The first one lasted 7 years and 200K miles so I feel confident the new one will last as long as I need it to. With that said the location of the PEM in these cars is pretty dumb. As an alternative Xemodex offers a waterproof version.

9. Replace the wheel liner and secure with two plastic nuts.

10. Replace wheel and reconnect the battery.

Hope this helps others. Good luck!
I have a 2004 XC90 all wheel drive 2.5 engine T5 every time I step on the pedal my car doesn't idle I think it would be my p PEM... I check my relays my relays a girl check my injectors my fuel pumps are good two lines are good but I seem I cannot find best of fuel pressure sensor now I checked a lot of website that the rail should have it but mine doesn't

Old 12-23-2020, 05:02 AM
Default 2007 xc70 Volvo

Originally Posted by ES6T
Good write up. One other benefit of relocating it is the harness going to it is replaced. If the connector going to the new one has corrosion in it, it can fail quicker.
hi I'm in Australia. Purchased a 2007 xx70 Volvo wagon. Recently put new fuel pump in an car still wont start . I'm just wondering if my model has a pem an if so were would it be located

Old 06-09-2022, 02:27 PM

Greetings. Potentially you are still active on these forums. Would this be under the 2nd or 3rd row passenger seats? 08XC90. Really not able to find any info online about this part replacement and location anywhere online!

Old 06-09-2022, 02:29 PM

Trying to find the answer of the location of the PEM For an 08XC90. Curios your model car? Curios if it is under the 2nd or 3rd row seats of an 08XC90.
Thanks!

Old 06-09-2022, 02:52 PM

My Volvo was 2 vehicles ago, lol!!!

I'm not sure where it would be located for sure. My gut tells me under the second row just because not all XC90s had 3rd rows. As mentioned in this thread, mine was jammed up behind the wheel well liner on the rear passenger side.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2022, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 08XC90LOVE
Trying to find the answer of the location of the PEM For an 08XC90. Curios your model car? Curios if it is under the 2nd or 3rd row seats of an 08XC90.
Thanks!
My Volvo was 2 vehicles ago, lol!!!

I'm not sure where it would be located for sure. My gut tells me under the second row just because not all XC90s had 3rd rows. As mentioned in this thread, mine was jammed up behind the wheel well liner on the rear passenger side.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Default 2003 XC90 PEM location

Such confusing info on the web...does my 2003 XC90 have a PEM (Fuel Module)? If so, where? Certainly not under the liner at the passenger rear wheel...

Old 07-13-2022, 02:20 PM
Default 2003 XC90--PEM/Fuel Module

Ok--so somebody has actually LOCATED and FOUND a PEM in a 2003 XC90??!! (I see alot of philosophical talk about 2003's having one...have YET to hear someone say "FOUND IT!")