Notices
Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

hid conversion kit question plz help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid conversion kit question plz help!!!

I have a 99 s80 t6 and want to do a hid conversion but don't know if I can trust eBay and the cheaper models or if I don't need to spend a ton of money from another company. Any answers/ recommendations are appreciated. Looking to spend as little as possible but still get good quality bulbs.

Thank you,
kevin

Old 05-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Upfront caveat: I have no experience with converting any Volvo to HIDs.
BUT, I have experience with converting a 2005 VW Passat GLX fog lights and projector-style low beams to HIDs. Based on that successful conversion, I highly recommend the products from DDM Tuning (ddmtuning.com). For the USA market at least, they are based in California with their products manufactured in and shipped from China.
NOTE: They do not offer "kits" necessarily (check their website), but if you know what you want/need, their products are first-rate and they solidly stand behind them.
Case in point for my VW: I knew I was essentially dealing with projector-style applications with the fog lights and the low beams. (BTW, I would only recommend retrofitting projector-style housings to HID due to the unpredictability of the light diffusion in a non-projector-style application.) (And I should also note that due to the vintage of your application, you probably should not be concerned with CAN BUS conflicts either.)
I also had researched and knew the end effect in terms of light output and color that I wanted.
So, wanting a distinct yellow color effect for the fog lights along with more than ample light output, I ordered one 3000K (Kelvin) bulb and one 35W ballast for each of the two housings. And for the low beams, wanting a very slightly bluish color along with excellent light output, I ordered one 6000K bulb and one 55W ballast for each of the two housings.
Installation instructions from DDM Tuning are NOT provided, so you need to have elemental understanding electrical wiring. Nothing particularly exotic about the process, just tedious primarily due to tight spaces. And you must be mindful about the placement of the ballast unit for each lamp so they are securely anchored (I used zip ties.) And you may/will need to modify the "boot" or other covering at the rear of the new HID lamp to accept the oversized HID base fitting while assuring the housing is kept intact to keep out the elements (water, dust, etc).
This process isn't plug-n-play but it isn't difficult either, requiring basic electrical understanding, a few basic tools, preferably small hands for tight spaces, and a certain amount of patience.
For the VW, the grill, bumper cover, and a couple other body parts had to be removed to allow access. Again nothing exceptionally difficult, just time consuming.
Final note: one of the headlights stopped working about 4 months after installation. DDM Tuning offers a lifetime guarantee so I contacted them via phone. No hassle, but they had me describe the issue to determine the potential fault (lamp, ballast or both). Turned out it was the bulb, which they shipped a replacement straightaway. And because their prices are so reasonable (I would really say "cheap" but the products themselves are not), I then ordered one extra of each of the components to keep on hand as backup as necessary.
All this was about 6 months ago. And I now find myself on this Volvo forum because I'm awaiting a new V60, so will be giving up the VW once the V60 arrives. But I've really enjoyed the HIDs on the VW during the time they've been installed and would do it again.
Good luck.........

Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Most hid kit and accessories are made from China. Nothing against it, but would be better to get products that has the longest warranty offered.