Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Winter driving and sand spreader damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving and sand spreader damage

Hi All: I'm new to the Volvo forums, although I have been driving them since 1959. My current ride is a S60RAWD 6-speed.
I live in Sacramento, CA and have a client in Reno, NV. I have to make the trip "over the hill" at least once a week for the next year. The trip involves from 40- 60 mi. of snow travel. Yesterday, I was blasted by the CalTrans sanding trucks that spread "sand" (more like 1/2 - 1" rocks interspersed with some sand) over the frozen sections of the road. I cleaned my car this morning and about got sick from the damage. The glass face over the lights are chipped, and the front end is in really bad shape.

So my question...Do any of you know of a manufacturer that makes a bra for my car? Colgan does, but it is for the front with the spoiler, so it won't fit mine. I have been unsuccessful in finding any manufacturer in ANY country. I just found a company in Florida that makes a plastic covering for my car. It is a 3m product. 8mm over the paint and 28mm over the glass. Has anybody used this product? Does anybody know of anyone either makes a bra or will make a custom bra? I'm thinking that I will probably have to get an entire new front end after the spring. There won't be any paint left.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Clay

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Winter driving and sand spreader damage

If you were to go with a Bra it would look as bad or worse than it does now.

When you have the bra on dirt gets between the bra and paint. Then when you drive it grinds it into the paint. (Been there tried that)

I would look into the clear covering.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Thanks Tech. That is the way I am leaning. Do you, or anybody else, have experience with the plastic covering? Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
Thanks for your advice
Clay

Old 01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't used it.
I have only seen it on a few cars that came into the shop.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:48 PM

Bra's are bad......had one on my old Landcruiser, and could never take it off because it had ruined the paint underneath. I have a friend who works at a body shop, and has heard nothing but good about the 3M clear protective stuff. The key is to have it installed properly. It's a lot like window tint, if any little piece of dirt or lint gets between the sticker and the paint it will eventually bubble up and start to look like crap. It looks like the stuff holds up well though. I see quite a few cars here in Montana that have it, and many of our roads during the winter are absolutely horrible.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up zmontgomery. Fortunately I detail the cars every six months. I generally run gauze over the completed job to find any flaws. I'm wondering if I have to do anything to the chip edges so the slight depressions in the paint finish won't start any separation. Any ideas?
Clay