Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Engine and auto transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
js
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine and auto transmission oil

Hi guys! I've just got a 2000 S40 1.8L non turbo, and I just went thru the manual that says engine oil change every 20000km or per year in normal conditions or 10000km or 6 months in rough conditions, is that every S40 does? and the manual doesnt mention about auto transmission oil change, does it mean I dont have worry about that unless it needs top up? Thanks...

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Default RE: Engine and auto transmission oil

are you outside of the U.S. that your not running a turbo'd s40? In general you should be changing your oil every 3-5000 miles, and your trans should be changed every 15000 to 25000 miles, buta lot of guys will tell you that they've never changed their trans fluid, and sometimes its not that big a deal not to. I prefer to have my oils changed regardless for efficiency.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 PM
js

Thanks my friend!!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 PM
js

I am from New Zealand

Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

are you outside of the U.S. that your not running a turbo'd s40? In general you should be changing your oil every 3-5000 miles, and your trans should be changed every 15000 to 25000 miles, but a lot of guys will tell you that they've never changed their trans fluid, and sometimes its not that big a deal not to. I prefer to have my oils changed regardless for efficiency.
This is very bad advice regarding the transmission fluid. Volvo recommends not changing the transmission fluid unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I work in the service department at a Volvo dealer in Texas, and have seen several cars with ruined transmissions due to flushing the fluid through the tranny. There are delicate valves in there, and you can do much more damage changing the fluid than just leaving it in there. Do not change the transmission fluid in your Volvo unless a Volvo factory-trained technician recommends doing so.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: fotobits

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

are you outside of the U.S. that your not running a turbo'd s40? In general you should be changing your oil every 3-5000 miles, and your trans should be changed every 15000 to 25000 miles, buta lot of guys will tell you that they've never changed their trans fluid, and sometimes its not that big a deal not to. I prefer to have my oils changed regardless for efficiency.
This is very bad advice regarding the transmission fluid. Volvo recommends not changing the transmission fluid unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I work in the service department at a Volvo dealer in Texas, and have seen several cars with ruined transmissions due to flushing the fluid through the tranny. There are delicate valves in there, and you can do much more damage changing the fluid than just leaving it in there. Do not change the transmission fluid in your Volvo unless a Volvo factory-trained technician recommends doing so.
Wow that a huge statement i don't think anyone would agree with you on that one.
I have a 2001 v70 it had 80,000km on the clock when my transmission started to give out, (never towed anything just normal driving)
I had the option of a new tranny 5k+ or a tranny flush, a tranny flush once a year with toyota t4 fluid had kept my v70's tranny going smoothly, Volvo say it a "fill for life" in my book....
we have had great success on this forum with transmission flushing and drain and fill.

Volvo also provide a service booklet that states engine oil changes are to be carried out every 15k km or once a year, but in the book it stated on two lines or so that if you have a turbo engine it must be changed every 7.5k km, Why not provide a book for turbo cars?? with the correct servies intervals. i dont believe the book i believe real life experiences, and this forum is full of them!! And btw i have never had my tranny flushed at a volvo dealer.
Not trying to be a smart ****, i just don't agree with your post.

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 PM

As I stated above, I work in the service department at a Volvo dealer in Texas. Volvo advises not changing the transmission fluid. I've seen several dozen Volvos with more than 150k on the transmission using the original fluid (including one of mine). Not being a smartass, but do you really think you know better than the engineers who design the transmissions?

Let me emphasize: Flushing your transmission can void the factory warranty.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM

I did not state that i knew more than a volvo engineers, What i stated is that i base my
judgement on real life experiences the aw55-50/51sn is a crap transmission lets face it.
This forum is full of posts regarding volvo transmissions going south well before they should.
I stand behind my original statement flushing or drain & fill is nessesary l

Lets get a poll going: If you had a tranny that was jerking like a thirteen year old...
would you put a new tranny in ? or try to flush or drain & fill??

Happy new year
good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM

What has been agreed upon by s40 tuners throughout the world is that if you have a s40 that you just bought with 80,000 miles on it, it is not the best thing to take it upon yourself to have the transmission oil flushed. But if the transmission is serviced every so often lets say 15000 miles, than there is nothing wrong with flushing. I've spoken to dealerships and veteran volvo drivers, and this is rule of thumb. It's also important to note that the 2000-2004 s40's weak point is there trans. Who wouldnt want to take the best care of their trans as possible.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Default What my VADIS says:

Re:2001 V40 with AW55-50... transmission:
"In cars used in continuous taxi service or used for towing a trailer or caravan for most of its mileage, the oil must be replaced at a service interval of 75,000 km ± 5000 km. This is to conform to the regular service program."
This is under engine B4204T3 *USA/CDN) which I believe is a turbo.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please understand that there is a difference between "flushing" a trans and draining & refilling it. The former uses a powered device which, according to sources here and such diverse sources as Honda, can cause damage from loosening built-up crud inside the trans. The drain and refill is a three part process since draining the trans only eliminates about 1/3 of the fluid (the stuff in the torque converter doesn't drain), so you eliminate 1/3 of the old fluid, replace it, drive it awhile, drain again, ditto for time #3. That changes without putting any unnatural forces to work inside the transmission most of the old fluid. Dealers pay big money for the power flush machines, so some like to put them to work making money. Honda, for one, says don't do it. Drain and refill (just like the Volvo 3x procedure) instead. Me? On the Honda, I do a drain and refill 1x about every 15000 miles. It has 180000 miles on it with never a hint of trans trouble. The Volvo lacks enough miles to judge, but so far so good at 36000 miles. The Volvo auto trans isn't a cheap fix or replacement part.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Vadis gives details for a trans flush procedure that will not damage any valves or components in the box. I recently flushed my S40 trans using that process with no difficulties and the box shifts smooth as silk at 95K.

http://s40concepts.net also has a good trans flush write-up with pix in the "how-to" forum.

A drain and refill process will only replace about 1/4 - 1/3 of the fluid, and the new fluid is contaminated by the remaining old oil. It's better than nothing, but not as good as a flush.

There is no filter in any Volvo transmission, so it is vital to keep the fluid clean. Any time the fluid gets dark or burnt smelling it needs replacing. The AW boxes are tender, and fresh clean oil is their lifeline.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM

OK - I've owned my 2001 V40 for over 1 1/2 years and didn't even know where to find the transmission dipstick. Since I couldn't find it, I assumed there wasn't one (some German cars eliminated the oil dipstick).

Searching other threads, I found that the dipstick was near the lower radiator hose. I will check to find it later.

When checking the transmission level: Cold or warm? Running or off?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldacura
OK - I've owned my 2001 V40 for over 1 1/2 years and didn't even know where to find the transmission dipstick. Since I couldn't find it, I assumed there wasn't one (some German cars eliminated the oil dipstick).

Searching other threads, I found that the dipstick was near the lower radiator hose. I will check to find it later.

When checking the transmission level: Cold or warm? Running or off?

Thanks!
You could check cold or warm as you will see both marked but you have got to run the engine thats the only way.BTW once you look down there the dipstick is yellow and hard to miss but the coolant line could burn you so watch out there.Also I wait till the radiator fan stops then I know I have some time until it starts to spin again.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Yes - I found it yesterday. I didn't check it because I was afraid of the fan starting up.

I will try tonight after the fan shuts off.

What were the Volvo engineers thinking when they put the dipstick there? How hard would it have been to run the tube up higher so it could be more easily found & checked?

It seems odd to me that there is no replacement interval for the ATF. Only if the car is used as a taxi. 60,000 miles seems like enough on the ATF but the VADIS manual, several Volvo service places and posters on this thread don't recommend (and even recommend against) changing it.

If there is enough fluid, if it is not dark or burned smelling, I'll probably leave well enough alone.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 PM

You must be the same service manager that told me it was normal that my new Saab would go through a quart of oil every 500 miles..... Oil is oil, when it's brown, that ain't good. End of story. My Saab manual also says to change the oil every 10,000 miles, nice. Only an idiot would follow the manufacturers formula for early drive train replacement.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by malaka
Please understand that there is a difference between "flushing" a trans and draining & refilling it. The former uses a powered device which, according to sources here and such diverse sources as Honda, can cause damage from loosening built-up crud inside the trans. The drain and refill is a three part process since draining the trans only eliminates about 1/3 of the fluid (the stuff in the torque converter doesn't drain), so you eliminate 1/3 of the old fluid, replace it, drive it awhile, drain again, ditto for time #3. That changes without putting any unnatural forces to work inside the transmission most of the old fluid. Dealers pay big money for the power flush machines, so some like to put them to work making money. Honda, for one, says don't do it. Drain and refill (just like the Volvo 3x procedure) instead. Me? On the Honda, I do a drain and refill 1x about every 15000 miles. It has 180000 miles on it with never a hint of trans trouble. The Volvo lacks enough miles to judge, but so far so good at 36000 miles. The Volvo auto trans isn't a cheap fix or replacement part.
What is the best trans oil to use in an 2000 S40?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fotobits
As I stated above, I work in the service department at a Volvo dealer in Texas. Volvo advises not changing the transmission fluid. I've seen several dozen Volvos with more than 150k on the transmission using the original fluid (including one of mine). Not being a smartass, but do you really think you know better than the engineers who design the transmissions?
You mean the Japanese engineers that design the Aisin AW (Aisin-Warner) transmissions that Volvo buys?

Like every transmission, an Aisin AW transmission lasts longer with minimum contaminants and clean fluid. The ideal transmission maintenance schedule is to install an external filter and do annual drain and fills.

Volvo recommends no fluid changes because they know the average wrench monkey will f@(k up even something as simple as a fluid drain and fill and because the transmission will outlast the warranty without any maintenance.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mys40
What is the best trans oil to use in an 2000 S40?
The correct fluid for your auto trans is Dexron III. You can also use a JWS 3309 fluid like Toyota T-IV if you wish.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it 'power flushing' that tends to stuff these transmissions?

The safe alternative is a 'drain and fill' in about 3 separate stages each of approx' 3 litres.
After 3 drains the full 9 litres is effectively replaced.
An inline filter can also be installed in the transmission cooler line also to assist in keeping the ATF cleaner.
JWS3309 spec'd fluid only of course.

I am using 5w30 semi synthetic engine oil and changing it at approx' 7500km's or 5,000 miles.
(that is in NZ driving conditions)