Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Can the auto. climate control be installed in a non-auto car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the auto. climate control be installed in a non-auto car?

As title says. Can they be interchanged without exchanging half of the car?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Well . . . . You could but it may be the same as converting a non-turbo to a turbo - it's easier to sell one car and buy what you want.

The ECC has 3 or 4 temp sensors in the dash and up by the grab handles, even one in the center of the dash where the red LED blinks for the car alarm - that's a big part of the automated bit. If you went without them, you'd get the "blinking lights of death" on the ECC panel and the system wouldn't know how to adjust the settings.

Also, the blower motor relay is not used with the ECC, so you'd have to replace it and get a power stage (it's twice the price of the MCC resistor).

Now with that said, I'm pretty sure that Volvo installed all of the wires for every option in every car, so if you were to hit a junk yard, you could probably pull all of the parts and stick 'em in your ride.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for an electronic project to learn and try a few things -- this is perfect. Keep in mind that CCU (climate control Unit) is interconnected with the ECU and the diagnostic modules.

If your non-auto Unit is toast, just get another one from the Junk yards at car-part.com. I have to admit that the Auto CCU is helpful to pre-heat / pre-cool the car.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. Essentially my control unit is working fine (lights-up nice and keeps me toasty warm). I haven't tested the A/C function yet since it's been a really cold Winter out here, (Durham, North Carolina). But the thing is that I have a local "U-pull it" close to me that has at least 10 Volvo 850's in all years and forms (sedans and wagons). I went there a few months ago looking for a part on another euro- car, and managed to notice the amount of Volvos they have. Hope they haven't been "crushed" yet.
So, yes, I'm looking to make this conversion a "project". I plan to grab an auto-climate control and the sensors(If I manage to know where to look for all of them ), plus a few dash switches, (my heated seat switches, "Winter/ Sport" selector switch and some radio buttons don't light-up at night).
I will keep posts as I make progress (I guess mostly by just asking more questions).

Thanks

Last edited by bond007; 01-27-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM

If you're looking to replace the dash switches because of the light bulbs not working, you can easily run to Radio Shack and pickup a bunch of them and swap them. It's real easy to do and you never know if the ones in the junk yard actually work!

Radio Shack sells two in a bag, and it's marked as # 7219 Micro Lamp - 12 volts-60ma-Wire terminal base.

The radio bulbs are Sylvania "longlife" 2721 lamps. Think I got them at Auto Zone.

Wierd how I just happen to have the bags next to me . . .

When I did the radio - and make sure you have the code before you go disconnecting it - it was fairly easy to open up and swap, but I somehow caused the CD player and the tape player to die. I didn't want 'just' a radio, so I headed to Amazon.com and picked-up a new head unit.

Last edited by vjaneczko; 01-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 AM

I would not be very concerned with the input devices, i.e. sensors. Yes, those you will need with the associated wiring / harnesses/ connectors.

How the Auto CCU will work with your output devices, i.e. flaps, air-box, switches, blower, compressor, etc. that's another matter. Just re-map connectors or is there more custom programming to be done?

I would also be very curious to know how you will interface an Auto CCU with your ECU, which is programmed with a Manual CCU.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Auto CCU with my ECU, that's a good question and interesting to find. I'll definitely find out if that is a viable exchange before taking anything apart

As for the switches not lighting-up, they are located in the center console, do I need to remove the console for swapping the bulbs, or can I pull them carefuly with a very small screwdriver (the one you use for fixing your glasses kind)? My rear ashtray courtesy light is burned-out too, so I think I might end up taking the console apart anyways.

Last edited by bond007; 01-27-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM

I think you can just pry the console switches up to get to the bulbs. If you do have to remove the console for the switches, it's pretty easy. Just a few screws under the ashtray and one or two under the armrest. It's been a while since I did it, but I think it's easier if the handbrake is up.

For the rear ashtray bulb, I think you can just remove the tray itself and access the lamp - I seem to be missing the whole thing except for the two wires hanging loose so I don't have first-hand knowledge.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Most of the console mini-bulbs are actually RadioShack xxx-1092. They are $ 1.99 per pair. You will need to untwist the socket (CCW) from the base (with flat-heat screwdriver), unwind the wires off the socket, then bulb comes loose. If you buy them first, you will see what I am talking about.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Henry10
RadioShack xxx-1092.
Yeah, that's the other number on the bag, but we're on the same page!