Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Fuel Filter Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Replacement Cost

How much will it cost to replace a fuel filter at the garage for my 2003 s40?

I was told that my car might need the replacement due to the sluggish start in the morning but usually okay the rest of the day.

I thought maybe my 2yr old battery might be the culprit but borrowed my neighbor generator and hooked it up overnight to no change.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You need a fuel pressure regulator, not a filter.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
+1

Takes about 10 minutes to change and that's while drinking a cup of coffee.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For the time it took to type all that you could have just called the garage and asked and you'd know exactly how much they will charge you, same for the pressure regulator.
Different shops have different rates so it's best to call the shop you're going to and get a quote.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
For the time it took to type all that you could have just called the garage and asked and you'd know exactly how much they will charge you, same for the pressure regulator.
Different shops have different rates so it's best to call the shop you're going to and get a quote.
Who says I didn't (call about the FUEL FILTER)?

By the time you typed your snotty, unhelpful answer you could have reflected and figured out that I was probably getting information for comparison and other information, such as the suggestion of a fuel pressure regulator not fuel filter possibly being the problem.

I've gotten excellent advice on this site. You're the first troll, Kiss4aFrog. Stay off my threads.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hudini
+1
Takes about 10 minutes to change and that's while drinking a cup of coffee.
Thanks for the answer. Is this something simple to change for oneself? Volvo engines are such a tight puzzle. (A well-meaning friend once caused $500 of damage changing a lightbulb for me. After that, I have just gone to the garage for everything.)

Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Can you tell me why you say it is not the fuel filter and why it is the fuel pressure regulator? What does something like that run in the garage? Thanks ES6T

Old 01-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

It leaks, causing pressure to bleed down with the car off.

Labor should only be a half hour. I don't remember the price of the part off hand.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a write up on "how to" with the pressure regulator:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...t-guide-64228/

And FCP's price: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...40-v40-9404583

If you want advise then try presenting the problem in the topic and people will jump in with help and advise. If all you're asking about is pricing out a repair as your topic asked, calling the shop you take it to for that price isn't snotty it's the best answer. Or post how much they want and ask if that's reasonable.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Idrive

I was told that my car might need the replacement due to the sluggish start in the morning but usually okay the rest of the day.

I thought maybe my 2yr old battery might be the culprit but borrowed my neighbor generator and hooked it up overnight to no change.

Thanks!
How many mi/km are on the car? Has the filter ever been changed ? You need this changed at a specific interval just for maintenance procedures.
Do you have a fuel pressure tester to check fuel pressure to decide if the pressure is low or not coming up fast enough.
The poster wasn't a smarta** when he said to call a shop for a price quote . Have you Googled the procedure to see if you can do it at home ?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Idrive

Thanks!
Direct answer, $120. But it depends on the shop. Some shops charge you for 1 hour, or 30 minutes minimum per job, even it its only a 15 minute job for them. The filters are cheap, unless you go to Volvo

Changing the filter is sort-of easy... I had a heck of a time with the press in plastic clips that hold the filter cover on. I ended up snapping 2 of them and having to rig something up to fix it. Also the filter that I bought at Autozone was much bigger than the original, so I had to again rig some zip-ties to hold the filter in place.

Someone else commented that is could be your fuel pressure regulator instead. I agree. Symptoms are the engine turning over several times in the morning before it will start, and then running fine. Depending on how bad the diaphram is in the regulator it might also be fine through the day, but overnight leak enough to depressurize the system. If you dont mind getting your hands dirty there is a vacuum line running of of the regulator, pull that off and if it has gas in it its bad. The regulators are pricey... but there is a post around here or elsewhere, someone found a regulator that fits for around $40. If I have to do it again I'm going that route. $140 is rediculous for what it is.

My advice either way, change the filter no matter what. It likely needs it, and its cheap. If the problem presists then look into the regulator.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

I can count the number of times I've seen a fuel filter cause a problem on a Volvo on zero fingers.

But yes, technically it is due every 105,000 miles.

Last edited by ES6T; 01-07-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Great, guys! Thanks for all the helpful info.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Follow on to fuel pressure regulator thread...

A few things -
#1, great write up on how to replace the regulator! Props to any poster who takes the time to share a procedure.
#2, a quick comment on a pnp switch issues. I periodically run the shifter 10-15 times quickly park to 1st every so often (ie once a year or when it acts up to clean the contacts) and have never needed to replace the switch in my S40 or 850 since doing so.
#3, re where to find the odd parts (ie small hoses), check out volvopartswarehouse.com - you can search via diagrams and get OEM numbers to search from or buy direct.