Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Radio unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio unlocking

My radio lost power and the person who put the unlock code in, put it in incorrectly - three times. Now when I turn it on it says, OFF.

I am told that it must be driven awhile for it to allow the code to be put in again. Is thus true? Also, for how long must it be driven?

My car is a 2002 Volvo s40 and the radio is standard.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Old 12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it does not have to be driven, you can just leave the key in the first position for about 2-3 hours until the radio asks for the code again. If you dont have the correct code you will have to take the radio out and copy the serial number off of the radio and call the dealership with it so they can get the radio code for you.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 AM

Well, i have 1998 model S40 T4, I bought it second hand two months ago and whenever i could turn the radio on it would show me OFF ... I went on the internet browsing for solutions and one guy said... just leave your ignition key at I for 2.5 hours then the radio will show CODE ... then if you bought the vehicle from Japan (which i did) then enter 6666 (that is 6 entered 4 times) then the radio will be on!!! and it did!! BUT the problem i have now is that despite the CD, Tape, AM and FM radio showing that its working ... there is NO SOUND and the antenna doesn't come out anymore!! So please if you know how to go about this ... help me, i need the sound back... its been two months and no music!!!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

These radios have their own unique code. I would remove it and cause it to request the code again. Then enter the code in the owners manual paperwork.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 AM

The code might even be written on the unit itself. Pull it out and look

Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 PM

My 2002 V40 was imported ex. Japan also.
Has the factory fitted Japanese version Volvo FM band radio.
The 4 digit code on the top of the radio serial number sticker is also 6666
( shows as *6666* )
Have not needed to disconnect battery thus far so have not tested out the number but reading your thread above it should hopefully bear out what you have said.

I think the code must be correct if your unit is powering up and shows now as 'ON'.
You must have another problem with the antenae and the speakers, maybe disturbed wiring connections, a loose plug etc when you removed the unit from the centre console?
Unfortunately Jap imports to NZ do not come with any original paperwork or owners manuals etc. (they are removed at export) so the numbers must be either written on the serial number label, or otherwise you have to go to a Volvo dealer with VIN number and radio serial number to obtain the code.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Default getting Volvo s40 radio to CODE position.

How about if I just disconnect the battery cables and then reconnect them. Will that cause the radio to go back to the CODE position?

That move got it to CODE in the first place.

Any help appreciated,. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 PM

The following extract is cut and pasted from the 2002 Volvo V40 owner manuel pdf file.

After installation or when the set has been disconnected from power, the set displays "input CODE
****" when it is switched on. Enter the 4-digit code using the 1-20/DISC ****. Select a number for a
digit by rotating the 1-20/DISC ****. And then push the **** to enter the number. Repeat the procedure
for all 4 digits.
If the correct code is entered the set is ready to use.
If you enter an incorrect code you must enter the correct code again from the beginning.
Incorrect code
If an incorrect code has been entered "Error" is displayed. Enter the correct code. After three
unsuccessful coding attempts the set will lock and remain locked for two hours. "OFF" is displayed.
During this waiting period:
l the battery must be connected
l the ignition key must be turned to position I >LI? the unit must be turned on Make sure the headlights
are turned off to help prevent battery drain.
Enter the code again once 2 hours have elapsed.

Follow that procedure and see how you get on?

Old 01-25-2022, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by damien360
it does not have to be driven, you can just leave the key in the first position for about 2-3 hours until the radio asks for the code again. If you dont have the correct code you will have to take the radio out and copy the serial number off of the radio and call the dealership with it so they can get the radio code for you.
Hi, I am new in the FORUM...
The question I have is: to get rid of the OFF sign on the radio I have to set the car key into position 1 and wait for 2-3 hrs when the OFF goes out and CODE appears... OK... But can I drive the car within these 2-3 hours or it should remain stationary? Thanks for hints! :-)

Old 01-25-2022, 01:52 PM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Maciek Ostrowski
to get rid of the OFF sign on the radio I have to set the car key into position 1 and wait for 2-3 hrs when the OFF goes out and CODE appears... OK... But can I drive the car within these 2-3 hours or it should remain stationary?
Yes you can drive the car for 2 hours waiting for the radio to reset from off to cod. If you turn the key off - you have to start the process again.