Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Did I really kill my S60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I really kill my S60?

Originally Posted by greg1
Just repaired my car. Explained in details with photos on other volvo forum - looks like all "experts" didn't personally do anything, just theories. In my car the pick-up tube filter - mesh filter that is first to suck the oil from oil pan - was almost completely clogged. So what I learned from that?
If you see low oil pressure warning and still have oil on a dipstick, check this first - forget about oil pressure sensor, seals,changing oil etc.
And for the experts: oil is picked up first by that tube, then goes to oil pump, oil filter and to the engine so it is very highly unlikely to find clogged pipes APTER the oil filter
IMHO
Originally Posted by rambo121
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Play safe, Flush the engine, remove and clean the oil pan, replace the Oil Pan Sealing Kit , replace the oil filter and oil/ replace timing belt kit and the oil pump seal/cam seals / thermostat /antifreeze Used Volvo OEM parts.
Car should by good for a long time assuming you replace oil & filter on time.

Good luck.
=========================================== your fault, you never fallow this post #10 from Feb/2014 and now you are talking about the so call EXPERTS.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM

hahaha, this is like if someone has a problem with air pressure in a tire you advise him to change the wheel, brakes, replace brake fluid, pads - using of course Volvo approved fluid and pads. Yes, of course, this way you ALSO can fix air pressure problem.
I am more interested in pinpointing the cause of the problem - ideally based on hands-on experience backed by couple pictures.
And btw. why change a pick-up tube in oil pan? Is it rusted, bent or any other way worn out? And what changing time belt has to do with low oil pressure? As long as engine is working the oil pump is delivering oil.
Are you not working for Volvo and try to sell as many genuine Volvo parts as possible?
Just my thoughts....

Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I never said replace the oil pickup tube. I said replace the o-ring.

Torn oil pan o-rings are a much more common cause of the low oil pressure light (yes, based on actual experience as a dealer tech). When replacing the oil pan o-rings, I also remove the pick up tube and replace that o-ring, and clean it out while I'm at it. So the job is the same as the one you were so proud to come brag about.

As for the timing belt, I think he meant to replace it while replacing the oil pump seal. That was clearly not based on experience. I have never, ever had to replace an oil pump or oil pump seal on a Volvo and I've been at it for over a decade.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha, this is like if someone has a problem with air pressure in a tire you advise him to change the wheel, brakes, replace brake fluid, pads - using of course Volvo approved fluid and pads. Yes, of course, this way you ALSO can fix air pressure problem.
I am more interested in pinpointing the cause of the problem - ideally based on hands-on experience backed by couple pictures.
And btw. why change a pick-up tube in oil pan? Is it rusted, bent or any other way worn out? And what changing time belt has to do with low oil pressure? As long as engine is working the oil pump is delivering oil.
Are you not working for Volvo and try to sell as many genuine Volvo parts as possible?
Just my thoughts....
Hey DA, in all the items you mention changing to fix a tire air pressure problem none of them is the tire? And an internal engine component like an oil pick up tube rusted when it spends its life submerged in or coated with oil? Seriously?

You get lucky and fix one car and now you are a master tech? Seriously dude, you don't have a clue and you come in dissing an expert like ES6T? Don't go away mad, just go away.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM

This is not a luck that I fixed my car, I am a car mechanic by trade from times when ABS was a theory, fuel injection was for luxury car and nobody even thought about emission control systems....Although I am not a mechanic anymore but still understand how engine works. You - Senior Members - have to admit that posting hundred of posts won't make anybody an expert.
And you still didn't pinpoint the problem - from my experience - this is typical for luxury car dealerships. If I had my car fixed at Volvo dealership I would have paid at least $1000. Everybody who joins Volvo forum ( or any other car forum) hopes to save some money or at least be informed how not to be ripped off. As for me - instead of fixing my low oil pressure problem for a $100 I spent around $500.
Another thought - why is that mash filter on a sucking tube anyway? Rod bearings are made of brass so it wont harm oil pump and will be caught be oil filter. So that mesh is to protect against steel bolts or something similar..well..if loose bolts will be in oil pan, engine is just about to explode. I don't know if American or Japanese cars have that mesh filter. This is also about importance of good quality oil filter - just compare oil filter Jiffy Lube is using (Mighty) to Bosch premium - it is like comparing Kleenex to a table cloth.
Have a nice, worry free day...

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-30-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Remove name calling
Old 01-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Pinpointing the problem is not necessary for this repair. If you drop the pan, all o-rings are replaced and the pick up tube is inspected and cleaned if needed. I'm not going to drop a pan, clean the screen, and reuse the o-rings. So the job is exactly the same.

And yes, of course it's cheaper to do anything yourself. That's how the world works.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a luck that I fixed my car, I am a car mechanic by trade from times when ABS was a theory, fuel injection was for luxury car and nobody even thought about emission control systems....Although I am not a mechanic anymore but still understand how engine works. You - Senior Members - have to admit that posting hundred of posts won't make anybody an expert.
And you still didn't pinpoint the problem - from my experience - this is typical for luxury car dealerships. If I had my car fixed at Volvo dealership I would have paid at least $1000. Everybody who joins Volvo forum ( or any other car forum) hopes to save some money or at least be informed how not to be ripped off. As for me - instead of fixing my low oil pressure problem for a $100 I spent around $500.
Another thought - why is that mash filter on a sucking tube anyway? Rod bearings are made of brass so it wont harm oil pump and will be caught be oil filter. So that mesh is to protect against steel bolts or something similar..well..if loose bolts will be in oil pan, engine is just about to explode. I don't know if American or Japanese cars have that mesh filter. This is also about importance of good quality oil filter - just compare oil filter Jiffy Lube is using (Mighty) to Bosch premium - it is like comparing Kleenex to a table cloth.
Have a nice, worry free day...
I never claimed to be an expert, and asking even an expert to diagnose your problem based on the little info you provided is a stretch, but then you criticize the recommendations of a Volvo dealer tech after you pull the pan and can fully inspect it? That is the amateur part. And like ES6T pointed out, paying someone else to do something for you will always result in it costing more. You may know cars, but you seem to know nothing about being thankful for resources like this forum that can help you save hundreds or thousands on repairs.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=ES6T;381350]The service reminder message comes on by time or mileage (7500 miles, 750 engine hours or 1 year). The car does not know what service is due.

Going 9,000 miles on an oil change is not good. If the bearings are worn bad enough to produce metal shavings then yes, the engine's days are likely numbered.

You can try desludging additives and frequent oil changes but this won't make up for worn bearings if they are worn.[/QUOT
i have a 2004 s80 t6 and i took off my transmission pan cause it was slipping and found shavings looks loke from the bearings...cant i just rebuild the tranny by taking it abart and putting on new bearings