Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ignition key gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition key gone bad?

Hi folks,

I've got a confusing situation. I have a 2001 S60 that has been very reliable. The battery is not old and has been good. The car gets very light use.

Last week I went to start it and the starter made no attempt to turn over. There was a slight hum - probably the solenoid, my guess. The door chime, etc worked fine.

My mechanic came out and tried to jump it, and nothing. Then he took a bar and tapped the starter motor while I turned the key, and the motor turned over fine. But it would not start. The mechanic surmised that the engine (fuel injection) was flooded.

So I had it towed to his garage. He replaced the starter. When I went to pick it up the car did exactly what it did in my driveway: nothing. I left the car there and the next day the mechanic told me it started fine for him, and suggested it might be the electronic key I was using, which is different from the spare one I had given to him.

When I picked it up today I tried both keys, and the spare one worked but the main one did not.

Then on the way home, as i was slowing for a turn, the engine cut out. It never does this.

So I'm wondering whether I needed a starter at all, though it seems logical that he would test it with the working key before replacing it (he's a good mechanic). Today he's closed so I can't talk to him about it.

I'm also wondering whether my key has gone bad, or if it's a computer issue, with the stall out in mind, and the fact that the car has lost quite a bit of power in the past two years.

It's a complicated scenario. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.