Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent rough Idle/timing over advanced. Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent rough Idle/timing over advanced. Should I be worried?

I just got done with the timing belt/cam seals in my 01' T5 Sunday evening. The exhaust cam spun while doing the job but I was able to get it back to where it was supposed to be (or at least very very close) after a lot of research and headache. I had everything marked up to the max to make sure I got it back where it was.

After getting everything back together I crossed my fingers and started her up. Ran perfectly. Took about a 2 mile drive and suddenly when I stopped there was a rough idle. Not the worst but definitely noticeable. Turned the car off and right back on and it was fine. Same thing happened again only after slowing down to drive down the alley to the garage only this time the CEL came on. Pulled the code P0014, timing over advanced.

The funny thing is after clearing the code and starting the car back up the engine ran perfectly yet again, and was fine the rest of the night and all day Monday, probably about 30-40 miles worth of driving and I couldn't make the rough idle come back again (and I was trying).

Then yesterday on my way to work it happened again, same story. Turn off and immediately back on and she is idling fine. Didn't happen again until this morning on my way to work again.

Now I am seeing a pattern, it does not happen until I am driving through the park on my way to work at a steady 20mph at around 1500rpm. Drove home that way tonight to make sure and guess what? Driving through the park did it.

When the rough idle is present it goes away with even the slightest amount of throttle and only happens when the engine is around 750rpm. It goes from there to about 1000rpm steadily.

I am assuming that it has something to do with the VVT.

I suppose that I am going to have to take her into the dealer to get the timing adjusted but I'm having a little bit of hard times right now and am not going to be able to afford to for a bit.

Like I said the rough idle is not super bad and goes away upon restart. And the really weird thing is the engine seems to be running stronger now than it has since I have owned the car.

I am just wondering if I am going to cause any harm driving the way it is running?

Sorry for the being so long winded. And thanks for your time!

Thanks again, Jon

Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM

I just changed out my tb and had the exhaust cam move on me a little bit. Mine ran great and then two days later it shot the p0014 code. So i took it apart again and tried to see if I could align it any better. It ran like a champ and then later in the day shot the p0014 code again. The car is still running really good, however I'm a little worried if it's going to damage it.

I, like you, don't really have the $ to spend going to the shop. I'm trying to find a good diagram of how the cams, mostly the lower shaft, should line up.

As for your rough idle, I noticed that in my car from time to time prior to doing my belt. I figured it was just something the car did because it had almost 200k miles on it.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Driving through a cemetery at night would be a cause, but a park? Must be some body buried there. Aha! I know. That's where JIMMY HOFFA is buried! Quick, call the Feds!

Sorry. Too close to a full moon. Couldn't help myself.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled car discussion...

Lynn B.