Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new strut/shock durability

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new strut/shock durability

I need one front strut and one rear shock replaced, which means all 4 will be replaced. I'm not looking for any performance upgrade, just want functional shocks that will last for many years. The stock ones at 88k miles are gone.

I've been looking at the Koni sport that's on sale for $150 front/$100 rear at Tirerack. Also considering Bilstein B4. Really want B6 but don't want to spring for the extra $$$ unnecessarily. Then I saw the Meyle at FCP for about $70 per corner. Was wondering if durability and price being major factors, performance being low on my priority (obviously has to do its job of damping out bumps), which brand/model would best suit me? I know there are other options like Sachs, Monroe, but for the price difference between them and Koni/Bilstein, I'm not really consider them. Also maybe rule out generic eBay stuff though I've read okay reviews for Sensen on other (non-Volvo) forums.

As for strut mount, any recommendations? Hard to tell which brands are identical parts but priced differently for branding purposes.

Last edited by madymo3d; 05-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madymo3d
I need one front strut and one rear shock replaced, which means all 4 will be replaced. I'm not looking for any performance upgrade, just want functional shocks that will last for many years. The stock ones at 88k miles are gone.

I've been looking at the Koni sport that's on sale for $150 front/$100 rear at Tirerack. Also considering Bilstein B4. Really want B6 but don't want to spring for the extra $$$ unnecessarily. Then I saw the Meyle at FCP for about $70 per corner. Was wondering if durability and price being major factors, performance being low on my priority (obviously has to do its job of damping out bumps), which brand/model would best suit me? I know there are other options like Sachs, Monroe, but for the price difference between them and Koni/Bilstein, I'm not really consider them. Also maybe rule out generic eBay stuff though I've read okay reviews for Sensen on other (non-Volvo) forums.

As for strut mount, any recommendations? Hard to tell which brands are identical parts but priced differently for branding purposes.
I ended up buying the Monroe front struts only. At first they were a major improvement but after awhile it seemed to get softer?? I wish I ended up getting firmer struts like the bilstein. Also replace the top strut mount bushing. I didn't do that and now its making a bunch of noises coming from that. It also moves up and down (which it shouldn't) when I open the hood and push down on the car with my hands. Im going to replace those next weekend which should get rid of "thump" noises I keep hearing.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a Monroe shock should last a good 50k miles or so. Perhaps a better make would last some more, but some brands are quite stiff.

Don't forget that as the springs are worn as well, they absorb less the energy, and that can cause the shock to work more than on a newer vehicle.