Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Resetting computer/turning off service light

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

His post was correct for how to reset the OBD II readiness monitors. As he stated.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
His post was correct for how to reset the OBD II readiness monitors. As he stated.
thank you. There is a LOT of advice I can get from this site...but, the BS meter has to be monitored.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Monitored? Good luck. Its the internet. All internet message boards are full of people guessing at problems. There's a reason there are only a couple actual technicians on these boards. We get paid to fix them. So helping people fix them on their own not only takes away potential customers, but we don't get paid here. Its free advice. You get what you pay for. I work on another site answering questions where I am actually paid. I spend way more time and effort helping there than I do here.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wdharvey11
so, you think this is a serious post about how to reset that system in question. From some of the responses I've been getting from some of the serious questions I've been asking, I see something like "drive the car for a while, put it it park, then, drive it again to your destination, then park it".....

MY problem with some the posts here is that people are making fun of others who have just become a Volvo owner. Yeah, I read this 3 year old post, and I've also been attacked by the "moderator" of this site.

You wonder why I bitch and moan. I want HONEST answers to REAL questions....

I'm not going on a snipe hunt.
My original post was an honest answer to a real problem. You can drive a '98 S-70 for 6 months and the light will not turn off. If that were the case you wouldn't be looking for a solution on how to turn it off. Some people come here looking for help and are generally appreciative of the aid information they receive. Others are not wise enough to be polite and ask questions is a manner that would engender a polite, informative response. You are obviously of the later variety and (this is the really good part) people will stop giving you answers at all. You'll go from site to site never receiving the help you could have gotten so easily and quickly.

To attack me is simply laughable, to attack ES6T is simply stupid, but to attack RSPI is the height of arrogant ignorance. He has helped diagnose more problems than anyone I can think of in recent years- and has done so in a way befitting a gentleman.

Owning an S70 can be both expensive and frustrating if you don't have a lot of specific knowledge or a bit of help. By your own admission, you don't have the former. And I bet you never get the later.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:39 AM

I'm not laughing at you. I'm admitting that I'm IGNORANT and UNEDUCATED on these cars, and I'd like to see some type of return on my investment and to be able to learn something along the way. Driving a Volvo does not make one a gentleman. Personal insults don't define a gentleman, either. I was questioning what you "prescribed" in a manner that sounded like you are someone who is a lifelong Volvo owner. I've been an owner for only a few months.

If this is what I can learn to expect from those that are owners, for Christ's sake, I'd rather wrap the damned thing around a tree rather than be associated with the likes of some of you, in particular.

I would expect that this is not a garage argument, with a couple of six packs and a Chevy, gun racks and a 12 point deer in the back, and that the people here could actually have a conversation with those that are "ignorant" (meaning NOT having knowlege because they have never been EXPOSED to that knowledge)....

I'm asking IGNORANT questions because I want to LEARN, and I want to KEEP my car, ok? If you want to attack me, go right ahead. I'll attack right back..but, if you want to give me some helpful advice, give the advice. Beyond that, I'll continue to read the threads for what I THINK I need, and if I find the advice WRONG, I'll call you out on it, ok?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:50 AM

By the way, I also meant no offense to you, either. yes, I came in like some kind of "know-it-all" and questioning some of the things I saw as far as diagnosis of problems with these cars, and I've only had one for a couple of months.

Yes, I guess I deserve some of the attacks I've been getting on some of the responses to some of those posts. But, I'm also one of those who can stand back and be corrected..

But, I'll NOT be continually attacked bay ANYONE. I'm asking for advice, that's what I came here for. I didn't come to this site to be wailed on, or insulted. I never knew (nor do I actually know) that an internal computer can be reset by driving it at certain intervals. Why would someone have to do that kind of thing in the first place?

Yes, I have questions, and I'm going to continue to have questions. If I ask a question, I don't expect to be spoken to as if I'm an imbecile. If people don't like my responses in the way they respond to me, and if I'm perceived as an A@@hole, I've got no problem with that, either. I've got a pretty thick skin.

I'll defend my ignorant questions as the day is long.

By the way...thank you for your input, and I'm looking into the advice you gave me..

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wdharvey11
I never knew (nor do I actually know) that an internal computer can be reset by driving it at certain intervals. Why would someone have to do that kind of thing in the first place?
The ECM checks various things. Oxygen sensors, catalytic converter efficiency, evaporative emissions system, misfires, etc. Once it runs through all its tests and no problems are found, the vehicle will pass an emissions test. These tests are called readiness monitors. The tests are run at different times under different conditions. The procedure he posted was to ensure the car runs all the tests. If you clear a check engine light and then go take a car to an emissions test, it will be rejected because the monitors have not run. This is not something unique to Volvo, though the procedure will vary from car to car.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:49 AM

thank you...I've just never heard of that kind of thing on any car. So, if I stand corrected, that's fine. not a problem there. I'll probably have to leave an hour or so before work to get it reset. How do I know if it's been reset without buying the computer? I also know my car will fail an emissions test, since it's missing the 3rd cylindar,which is probably why it was sold to me in South Carolina (no emissions inspection) rather than North Carolina (required emissions tests)....there are a lot more than just mechanical issues I have to be concerned about. Oh..the car is not about to leave me on the side of the road anytime soon....I just don't WANT it to leave me on the side of the road, PERIOD....I'd actually like to be able to get it back in a good running condition so I could at least get something out of what I put into it....JUST IN CASE. The ABS should be working, too, in order to have this test conducted to get accurate results?

Last edited by wdharvey11; 10-13-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct, it will never complete all the monitors because of that misfire. You could also be damaging the cat and oxygen sensors.

The ABS runs its own tests and have nothing to do with emissions.