Abs light

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs light

Hi guys, I have just purchased 98 v70 with a problem. I have just registered the vehicle so I can test it on the road. My mechanic replaced the abs front sensor on the vehicle as his diagnostic computer indicated it needed changing. The car drives good when the abs light is off on the dash, but when the light turns on my transmission slips and it just revs. I also have a light on the dash that flashes which is an orange arrow which Im told is an overdrive or something for the transmision. My mechanic got codes of 0092 as the problem on his scanner but doesnt know what the code presents. This indicates to me the car has some sort of computer problem. Does anyone know about this problem? or has anyone experienced similar issues.
Thanks
Alain

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Alain, welcome to the site.

I'll check around the site a little for your issue. You can hit the general V70 section and search that code "0092". The arrow on your dash is the Limp Home mode notice, letting you know that the car is trying to protect itself until it is fixed. It will usually drive, just slugish to allow you to drive to get it fixed or home.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is a post I found. Still looks like an abs module issue:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...197/#post79896

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
JRL

I'm sure he is not a Volvo mechanic as the wheel sensors rarely go bad, the ABS modules do but the code says a wheel sensor, no one replaces a wheel sensor!
Modules can be rebuilt for about $75
If you need a new ABS module contact Matt at pollackm74@gmail.com

From what you said, take it back to this mechanic, it sounds like the axle is ready to fall out and those symptoms and lights may confirm this after he looks at the axle bolt... then find a real VOLVO mechanic.

(If I'm wrong, I apologize up front)

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Default ABS light

thanks guys,
ive taken the abs module out and had a go of repairing myself. Unfortunately some components came off the board while openning, so I ordered a module thats been repaired on ebay for $200 including delivery. Ill still try and repair the old module when I get a chance. Im pretty sure thats the problem. when I drive with the abs light off, its great. But when the light comes on randomly I lose the transmision.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Default scanning tools

hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone of has purchased a scanning tool for volvos and other european cars that are made in china. Ive seen a couple advertised on ebay and if they do what it says it does, Then I wouldnt mind to have one. They also do various other cars.I might take a punt and try it out.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Default ABS light

Hi Guys, My refurbished ABS module has just arrived and I have installed it. Its back to normal except for flashing orange arrow light thats on my dash. It seems that this might be something to do with the transmission. Im getting the codes cleared today as I have an SRS light thats always on. Thats was my fault as I disconnected the Module while the ignition was on.
Has anyone got any suggetions about removing the arrow or what its for.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The arrow is most likely flashing from the bad ABS module. When they go bad the signal going to the transmission is also broke causing a Vehicle speed sensor signal. That sents codes in the engine module,ABS module and transmission module.
Most likely if you have all the codes cleared you will be fine.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Default ABS light

Originally Posted by tech
The arrow is most likely flashing from the bad ABS module. When they go bad the signal going to the transmission is also broke causing a Vehicle speed sensor signal. That sents codes in the engine module,ABS module and transmission module.
Most likely if you have all the codes cleared you will be fine.

I coudnt clear the SRS light off. Im going to someone with a better diagnostic scanner next week. Maybe they can clear the light.
I found an invoice from the volvo dealer that serviced the vehicle before I purchased it. They stated that the transmission needed to be replaced to remove the flashing arrow. It doesnt seem like a cost effective solution to me. you said that there is a transmission module as well. I might take a look at it if I can find it. I just put in a refurbished abs module and its driving a lot better.
Ive been hearing a lot of stories about the timing belt and have decided to replace it today since its only been changed once on 250000 kms.
I need to get more info on the transmission module.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Just get the codes read for the transmission. Then go from there.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:06 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------
ignition switch= to date May 22 2013 last repair

had abs lights go off stc lights pull over asap lights, Alarm servive required /!\
battery light
every thing was fine nothing rong with the controls just lights galore and lots of panic.
...went home next day drove over 2
hours nothing no lights....alright it was just a falt no worries...somtimes the t6 wouldent
start after five days of sitting .............it cant be the new alt or
the brand new battery i tested bolth, this happened 5 times or so. One time only once
on a start up the lights would come up same as before when driving ABS,STC,BRA FAILER msg ex.

but this time the immobilizer see manual msg came up i thaught that might have something
to due with the alarm service msg indicating a falt in the system car would
not start..again everybody no falts no codes stored and yes my shop agin tryed to pull
any codes thrught his bad **** obd reader\abs reader....nothing ...wooooooow
.Alright ima jump soon....wink.gif

so i would disconnect the negative battery lead , clear lights on dash start up no falts
no lights no malfunction indicators nothing.....

few days later driving
down town instrament cluster shuts off NO SPEDOM NO RPM NO TEMP..but gas gage still fine..
drove to meeting shut car off. Hour later started right up drove home nothing no lights
no malfunctions .Went on a beer run lights cam on drove it right to my shop no falts
no codes stored no nothing just lights every where.... i thaught there is no way they
all failed its just mathimaticaly impossible...................i was right in end
p.s prior to all these lights going off i had alarm service msg with a
yellow caution indicator /!\ on start up about a month before my new panic board lights
entered into my life

so i started the dreaded ABS light venture on the internet after i already spent many many
days on switches, small relay wires, CAN net and OMG what a nightmare...some of those poor
people have suffered from so many stealerships horrors..fixes with no guarantees bills
of well over a thousand dollars for new ABS modules, people pulling things off by them
selfs hopeing the light goes off after hundreds wow....you half to be clear average minded
to concer this car without fustrating your self to death. a way of acting that this is
a puzzle you and me can du and i love it..

so i cleaned the battery leads with a simular story on the internet before i f-ing let loose
with a sludghammer
what do you no......... no light for about 23 days then on a friday ran a bunch of arrands
and planned 2 again see family in Hamilton Ontario 56 there and bac Sat morning
went out she was done no start WAS NOT going any where...i had alternator problems before
and when she had trouble starting i could clearly smell gas tryed it only 3 times
no gas smell this time witch ruled out my new referb alt failing , went and tested battery
with multy meter 12.85 volts she powered all right
and figured something wasint right..so i sat there boiling mad SERIOUSLY..calmed down and
started a new puzzle adventure with great fear of the ABS lights...

well here we go ....if no gas being pumped than its the fuel pump but my gas gage was fine
even with the cluster failer ??? gas was good then so but no smell it must be injectors
not injection ....witch hit me on an instant the immobilizer..... It preventing gas witch
is y no smell again the immobilizer controls fuel injection in the cyclenders.
hence pointed me again to alarm...so my final question witch came to my conclusion of a
45$ part and fix was what controls the immobilizer and the alarm ????

THIS IS THE TRUTH THE IGNITION SWITCH -------controls alarm, immobilizer and a few other
switichs,The ignition colm has a small metal rectangle shape with a circle in middle that fits into
a cheep plastic ignition switch insert, that the metal chewed up the plastic so when u turn ignition colm it didnt spiral away from immobilizer and alarm connection inside the ignition switch fully causing the (Central Control Unit) to act abnormal.BANG sending false codes and falts every where.

YOU BELIEVE THIS CRAP plastic to metal contact on a daily basis totaly not happy SERIOUSLY a small plastic peace beaing worn down with hard cast metal every day. and my ABS fails because of this.
Multipal people have had hundreds of these exact problems and i bet a few
hundred s80's may be in the grave yard because of this but i will continue to
drive it with great passion if i can help in any way let me no.....

because i did countless hours of research prior to my (Ignition Switch) problem
it was much easier to come to this final conclusion with all of it I MEAN ALL OF IT..
150+ HOURS spent on car

CAR OUT FOR 4 DAYS...CONCLUSION------------- Ignition Switch 45$

Toronto Canada s80 t6 2000 .....196000 and counting polar arctic matalic tinted

post let me hear you........

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 05-23-2013 at 06:11 PM.