Blown Head Gasket on my 1999 V70 Wagon

Old 07-31-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Blown Head Gasket on my 1999 V70 Wagon

Yes, I am a blonde, but I used to fly single-engine airplanes alone, so I am not mechanically stupid. Just bought a lovely 1999 wagon appearing and SOUNDING to be in perfect condition, 130K miles on. Radiator went bone dry twice in two weeks. That problem was solved with a new overflow tank pressure cap. Yesterday, I put it to the acid test: powered it FAST up a ten-mile 7% grade with A/C going full-tilt boogie and it passed this awful test with flying colors. Btw, I am in sizzling Arizona. Probably 100 degrees at least.

However, when she overheated again, I stopped it to cool it off, checked oil while waiting for radiator to cool down, and had yellow goo all over the dip stick. Passing souped-up off-road jeep driver immediately diagnosed blown head gasket (water in oil). Had it towed to mechanic who will be way too expensive for me to get an estimate.

Here are my questions now: said mechanic said that the head would need to be pulled too, sent out, checked for cracks, probably re-machined, reinserted, and only THEN could the head gasket be replaced. No other mechanic so far has mentioned doing this. Also, I have a Master Mechanic friend who is totally bored on disability--is replacing the head gasket something that we could pull off together with all of his tools? The engine sits so nicely right on top of everything else that it appears to be very user-friendly.

All input, feedback, and advice will be gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance!

Ladywolf

Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the head gasket has blown, the head does has to come off as the gasket is located between the head and engine block faces.
It is always wise to have the head checked out for warping, cracks etc and ideally a skim prior to reassembly with a new head gasket.
Failure to properly prepare the mating surfaces will almost certainly result in the new gasket failing with all the work and cost being in vain.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:30 AM

I guess you need to ask how able is he on disability. Look on YouTube for a video of a headgasket repair to a V70, to give you an idea of what is involved.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Smile Blown head gasket on 1999 V70 wagon--THANKS!

Okay, thanks for the first definitive reply, it was most helpful. My disabled friend had half a lung removed, not half of his brain, so he is quite ABLE when feeling well enough!

I will look at the video and thank you for the lead. What say you to this? Another expert mechanic friend on the phone said, get the ridiculous quote from Volvo for a new head, then start searching for a good one from a junk yard/parts place. What's your experience been in doing this? Is this a reasonable path to pursue?

I have an old 1990 Volvo 740 wagon up for sale right now, but the engine configuration is radically different--it appears to be vertical rather than horizontal, so there is probably no point in trying to "steal" a head from it, right?

Sorry to be a bit dim-witted about all of this, but I never had to actually REPAIR a Cessna engine, even though I did understand the mechanics.

As always, thank you in advance for all input!

Ladywolf

Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 AM

In losing coolant, it is likely / possible your head is warped. Not unusual, and the route for many to the scrap yard. You might be paying for another's warped head. I think I would get my own head machined flat and reinstalled. To buy one, you would need one from the same type of engine.

If your friend is up for it, go for it. You can be a real help to him and can speed up the work in unison.

You also need to work out why you lost coolant, and fix that so you don't have a 'déjà vous, all over again'. Water pump? PCV system blocked? Scour the forums for leads on this.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:38 AM

Thanks again. I do think from yesterday's road test uphill at high speed for nine miles with new pressure cap installed on the overflow that THAT Is why i was losing coolant. Overflow cap was loose, and fluid was all over the reservoir and engine compartment before I installed the new pressure cap. Now it is bone-dry.

So...probably dead empty radiator two times killed the head, right>? Maybe?

You are right. Old heads may be just as warped as my own. MOney is the huge problem now, as I am still paying on the car purchase. I shall have to invent $$$ out of thin air, but I will have my own head re-milled and reinstalled. Tranny was rebuilt within this past year, so with a rebuilt engine and tranny, I should have practically a new car, yes, no?

Thanks for all your help so far, and still to come!

Ladywolf