coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold

1999 v70 awd was running 2 days ago. I was able to let it idle for 10+ minutes and pull it into my backyard. At first i was under the assumption that the heater core needed to be replaced.

After replacing the heater core i added a gallon of coolant and immediately noticed drips coming from the back of the motor to the right of the turbo as you are underneath the car.

The oil is just dark and not milky so i dont think i have coolant in the oil.

Every time i go to turn it over more coolant just pisses out of it of the manifold with it bolted to the motor....

PLEASE HELP! Please give me steps to help diagnose what my problem is.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a coolant line running from over by the coolant recovery tank to the turbo. It has rubber couplings. They can be the source of the leak in that area.

I replaced mine but it's been a while and I can't remember the exact routing that cooling hose takes. Might even be the tube itself rusted through.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a steel coolant pipe running along the back side of the motor from one side to the other. The water pump is on the passenger's side end of it, and the lower radiator hose is on the driver's side end of it. It has several connections. My guess is look for a leak somewhere in that network.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
There is a coolant line running from over by the coolant recovery tank to the turbo. It has rubber couplings. They can be the source of the leak in that area.

I replaced mine but it's been a while and I can't remember the exact routing that cooling hose takes. Might even be the tube itself rusted through.

So just to clear a couple of things up. I was not able to pinpoint the leak exactly, instead what i found was that the motor ran way worse with an extra gallon of coolant in it. I do know that it looked like coolant was seeping out of any and all gaskets associated with the turbo exhaust manifold but i can not confirm that to be 100%. Would one of the hoses be bad enough that the pressure would cause it to "spray" all over the turbo and manifold?

The coolant leak started before i even turned the key... How would that even be possible? Is that a sign of the bad hose you are talking about or could a blown head gasket culprit here?

I would post pictures of the leaky areas so you guys can help pinpoint it with me but due to a security issue... nevermind i figured it out please check below for the pictures and know that anything that looks wet is indeed from coolant ie. the turbo "throttle"

Last edited by volvoguy17; 02-12-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
There is a steel coolant pipe running along the back side of the motor from one side to the other. The water pump is on the passenger's side end of it, and the lower radiator hose is on the driver's side end of it. It has several connections. My guess is look for a leak somewhere in that network.
The steel coolant pipe definitely was one of my suspects as to where this leak is coming from for sure. The water pump is run off the belt by the pulleys, right? I mean unless it is hidden in the back by the steel coolant pipe i dont think this is my issue. What i think needs to happen is that i need to remove the turbo and look for blown gaskets or a faulty hose because i still havent been able to pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from.

In addition to my paragraph on this reply please read the above as well and hopefully these pics upload...

Attached Thumbnails coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3765.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3766.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3750.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3751.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Administrator

You might need to go to an auto parts store and get a loaner radiator pressure tester with the screw on adapter for the recovery tank and pump some pressure into it so you can try to see it spray from the source.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
You might need to go to an auto parts store and get a loaner radiator pressure tester with the screw on adapter for the recovery tank and pump some pressure into it so you can try to see it spray from the source.
That sounds like a good idea... Do you happen to think that a blown head gasket would cause coolant to leak out even if there is no combustion because the vehicle was bone cold and i still had a leak. Or would the steel coolant line on the back of the motor have a leak in it somewhere? Keep in mind that this motor is in need of a pcv service and i am not sure how long it has needed it. A lot of emissions coming out of the oil cap and dipstick.

Check out these pictures and let me know if you see anything out of whack because i checked the hoses you recommended and didnt really see anything that stood out.

Attached Thumbnails coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3766.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3739.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3772.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3776.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3769.jpg  

Old 02-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Administrator

The hoses might have a crack or hole you won't see and might not even find if you're were able to bend them around during inspection. When in place they can hide a leak like you wouldn't believe.

The nightmare of a bad head gasket is it can do a few things.

You can have a break to the cooling system. It might blow bubbles into the cooling system and or only suck in coolant and see it steaming out the tailpipe.

It can break into the oil and leak out out of the engine (rare) or bridge oil to coolant and you get Milkyway bar colored oil or the slime st mess in the coolant recovery tank.

The one I haven't seen (yet) is oil to combustion.

The pressure tester will help a lot as you'll be standing right there.
Have an inspection mirror handy just in case.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Default found some fluid

As i could not find the leak by just looking from the top or bottom with a mirror i decided to take off the manifold because it looked as if it was coming from behind it.

As i start to get the turbo exhaust port unbolted from the manifold flange i see some fluid. There is a chance that because there was fluid on top of the manifold that some seeped down into that top chamber. The other couple of "exhaust chambers/ports" coming out of the manifold on the bottom did not have any water fluid.

I am calling it a night because the studs holding the exhaust manifold to the turbo are being an extreme pain in the a**.

My question:

If the head gasket is bad i would see fluid coming from each of the "chambers/ports" instead of only the top?

Is there a chance that fluid would leak in through the top of the seal?

Attached Thumbnails coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3845.jpg   coolant leaking from gasket of exhuast manifold-img_3846.jpg