ETS-P0220 & CEL-P0130 on my 2000 V70

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ETS-P0220 & CEL-P0130 on my 2000 V70

Same old story: 2000 Volvo V70 (base)
ETS light is on with trouble code P0220
Also, the Check Engine Light is on with the trouble code P0130.
And there's the ABS light that has come on and gone off before, throwing no codes, but is staying on now.

The car runs fine.
She gets about 23mpg city/hwy mix.
No stumbling. No 'limp mode'.
Eeeevery once in a while, as I am monitoring the codes, she'll throw a P1670 which from what I can find is the "Volvo Immobilizer Control Module Communication Error/Code Error". Right after, when I try to start her, she starts, and immediately stalls. After backing the key all the way off, and trying again to start, there is no problem and the code goes away.

We bought her in 2003, and past that point, nothing in that area has been changed out (MAF/ETM) other than an O2 sensor (dunno which - I didn't work on her then...).

Oh, and I'm trying to get this car to pass North Carolina's inspection, of which these are all that are holding it back - now that my tint is all gone...
(Yes. I DO know NOW that the cargo area didn't have to go...should have asked...)

I will begin by letting you know up front that I have searched this out, and have found MANY threads involving these seemingly separate issues, and MANY answers to the same.

Here's what I have done:
~ I have checked all of the fuses.
~ I have done a vacuum leak test.
~ I have yet to change-out the ETM or MAF, but have cleaned them both with the appropriate MAF spray by CRC. After which, I reset the trouble codes and they have come back - sometimes all at once and sometimes one after the other.
~ I have changed the oil, hoping dirty oil might be a cause (after reading 'answers' in threads).
~ I am about to run some Prestolite CataClean through her to see if that will help with the O2 code.
~ I am going to buy/borrow a multimeter and check the voltage of the battery and the drop (if any) across the path to the MAF & ETM.

What am I forgetting or what have I not found in my search for answers (other than replacement of parts)?
I am trying to avoid the facepalm of shame by not paying guhzillions of pesos to fix a shade-tree problem.

Hep a brutha out, y'all.
Please?
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:33 AM

Code P0130 is the computer not getting a signal from the Bank 1, #1 O2 sensor. So the first thing would be to check that the wires are still attached and making a good connection on both ends.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Cool Thanks!

Hi Willvo,

Thanks for the quick response!

I have visually inspected it, but once I get a chance to do a voltage drop test, I'll check the voltage on those lines, to see if they're broken w/in the insulation.

I'll keep y'all (or..just Willvo) up to date...

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Unhappy Ugh.

No major voltage drop issues.

I'm guessing that means that, at the very least, I need to replace the O2 sensor.

The grating annoyance in my mind is that the car isn't running rich or badly.
It gets about 23mpg city/hwy mix.
Shouldn't the CEL & ETM lights/codes be causing performance issues.
(not male performance, mind you...although, if this keeps up, it might affect my marriage, since I'll be spending more nights in the carport...)
No issues, just codes and lights...
WTF? (Where's the fire?)

Also, if it IS the front O2 sensor, can that cause the car to throw other codes like P0220?
Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm not a Volvo expert...

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
I'll keep checking in an documenting my "progress" until NC authorities drag me off to jail for having a <shudder> UNSAFE VEHICLE <dun-dun-duhhhhhn!> on the road...

Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Cool Forward motion at least...

P1670 - GONE!
Took the left side of the switch apart and cleaned the contacts.
Easy-peasy. Done.

P0130 - GONE!
After farting around looking for anything else it could be, I bit the bullet, and bought a front O2 sensor (Denso) from Amazon for about $150 ($100 less than FCP...)
Bought the offset socket, too. ($8)
Sprayed it down with PB Blaster the night before, and a few times after that.
Came loose with one grunt, and twisted the rest of the way off with my bare hand.
Awesome.

P0220 - Still my constant companion.
Checked my paperwork from days gone by, from before I got elbow-deep in Vovlo guts.
Found that my service-buddy at the Nissan/Volvo dealership in Tallahassee had them replace the ETM in 2006. THAT is where my yellow-sticker came from! And THAT's where my $1,400 went to...(this was pre-recall...I guess...)
I'm thinking its not the ETM.
Someone responded to this call for help elsewhere, and said that it could be related to the Brake Pedal Position Sensor, which makes some kind of sense, I guess, when you consider that my ABS light is on, but there are no 'brake-related' codes...
Pulled the sensor from the front of the booster. #*&%$! I forgot to pump the brakes to bleed down the vacuum, and the o-ring got sucked back into the booster.
Took it apart.
Cleaned the contacts.
Solder looks good.
Checked resistance - looks good.
Put it back together and found non-existent magical Swedish o-ring (Pep-Boys air-conditioner o-ring -(IN YOUR FACE VOLVO ........<ahem!> ).

https://volvoforums.com/forum/attach...1&d=1380649774

Put it on.
Idles right again (after loosing the o-ring, it...ahh...didn't.)
Checked the codes.
P0220 with ETS and ABS lights glowing.
I think I need to start with the drinking now.
Do I need to bite the bullet and buy the Brake Pedal Position Sensor ($108 FCP)?
Or is there another avenue I can search?
Oh, and could there be any chance that it is related to the MAF? I've cleaned it -like- 3 times...

Thanks in advance, y'all...

Attached Thumbnails ETS-P0220 &amp; CEL-P0130 on my 2000 V70-o-ring.jpg  

Last edited by swaggerwagon; 10-01-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added O-Ring info...
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Red face I...I went to the Volvo dealership...

...and got it scanned.

The results:
ECM-9150
ABS-0010
ABS-0011
ABS-0070

They immediately said I need a new ETM [$765] (though the white-label one was replaced with a yellow-labeled one in 2006), and a new ABS Controller [$920].

It seems that I need to do the old "split & solder" that I have seen others do on their ABS Controller.

I am STILL baffled by the fact that my car runs great, gets good gas mileage (not just compared to my Expedition, either...), and has NO OTHER SYMPTOMS other than a freaking light and a freaking code.

Its like someone telling me that I am dying of a cardiac infarction (I could have said heart attack, but I enjoy saying [or writing] "infarction"... ), when I am breathing fine, my pulse, heart rate and blood pressure are normal - but I am likely to die of that since it runs in my family.
Uh. No.

Something else I've seen (whilst trying not to be the guy who jumps into a forum and yells HEEEEELP! without searching for himself):
~ Is it possible that these codes, in combination, indicate something different than by themselves?

I am grasping at straws here...
This is a good car; and still worth about $2,000 to $3,000 with everything working and "inspection passable".
However, if it can't pass inspection, its not worth the combined price of the ETM & ABS Controller, which would also make it hard to get rid of in the first place.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks, y'all, for all the direction I've gotten from you already.
It has helped me drop 2 codes off of the 4 that grounded this beast.
I really appreciate it.
Adam