Growling noise while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growling noise while turning

When taking 90s in a regular neighbourhood I get a growling or rubbing sound. The sound is somewhat of a muted sound when a semi truck is using the engine brake to slow down a hill. My initial suspicion was a torn/damaged CV boot and compromised axle, however upon inspection the boots are fully intact, although quite old.

Any other things I should check out? PS reservoir is mildly low, however the sound is only replicated while moving. No visible contact between tyres and inner fender, nothing appears loose.

Thanks in advance for help!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 PM

Did a bit more research via google and came across this:

Originally Posted by www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54110&p=271700
Viscous coupling. The tests are the sharp turns and tests that jb told you about. Just check there are no leaks. Over time the viscous coupling clutch plates can start to ******. I've had a minor issue with this for about 20k miles and it still runs fine but occasionally I get a bit of a vibration from it (I have a good used one spare in the garage). You can get a rubbing noise from the front 'nose bearing' behind the flange. Not a major job. Finally, you can get a clunking from the torque bush on the front of the housing if it starts to go. Again, not a big deal to fix.
gonna take a look into it

Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 AM

Just an update. Haven't checked this yet due to the rain. It also makes a similar noise when first accelerating from launch. Broken mount somewhere perhaps? It sounds like a rubbing sound, my guess is the torque from the engine and turning is causing the engine or other related drivetrain parts to rub somewhere. Thoughts?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM

Replaced a CV axle that had a split boot (previously unnoticed) and dislocated the inner joint fairly easy.. thought this may solve my issues.... alas it did not. I am suspecting the bevel gear since this is a common failure point for these cars, however its location makes it an unideal candidate for close inspection. Do my symptoms seem reflective of a bevel/angle gear?