New guy with a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New guy with a question

Hey guys, I'm brand new on here, today I was happy to buy my first car from a private seller. The car was a 98' Volvo v70r. When I got the car, my dad test drove and ended up ruining the hood becuase of a faulty latch. I was wondering if anyone knew any other models that could fit the v70r. Also if there are any solutions to a faulty close and open latch for the hood. I really appreciate if you guys could respond.

Cheers,
Derek

Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have had a couple of problems with the hood latches; there are three of them; two main and one "backup" in the middle.

I have had a couple of V-70's where spring in the mains wouldn't pop the hood up, so if you were alone, it would latch back when you let go of the hood release cable. It was a two man operation to open the hood. Otherwise, no big deal. The fix here is to get some lubrication in there and also get the latch aligned well so that there is not much friction between it and the hoop on the hood. You only have a little bit of force to work with, so I have just had to make it easier for the hood to move when you pull the cable. You could install additional springs, but I resisted that because I didn't like the locations I would have had to mount a spring on.

The 850 main hood latches will fit the V70, so you can buy 100 of them in the junkyard if you need some.

I had another problem where the secondary latch in the middle has a plastic handle you pull it with and it just broke. You could fix this with an invention of your own without too much trouble. Lots of V70's in the junkyard too (850's don't have the same item). Removing the plastic bits in a junkyard without breaking that one is a problem. When you buy a hood, it'll probably have one on it, so maybe that one will be good.