New (to me) V70 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) V70 turbo

Hello folks. I recently bought a 99, V70XC and I'm trying to get it up to speed for a long term daily driver. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Some known issues:
1) ABS - ABS noises come through the dash while driving without using brakes and ABS engages when brakes are applied. The ABS noises sound like the pump and go away temporarily when lightly tapping the brakes.
Codes: The ABS lights don't come on, but CEL with code P1633 comes on.
Troubleshooting:
A) I've pulled the fuse on the ABS and the CEL doesn't come back on.
B) ABS control module has been refurbished by Midwest ABS (Thanks Matt!)
C) Some of the tone ring teeth on both front wheels have small chips, serrations in them and look rusty. I think someone got too crazy with a prybar when changing suspension components. These teeth are still there, but damaged.

ABS Questions: Would slight damage to the teeth cause the ABS issues? Can I weld some metal back on the teeth and then file them down to match the others? I can't find a direct fit tone ring to replace them, and would rather not replace the axles. Dorman makes replacement rings for the non-turbo version, and they have the same teeth and diameter --Any suggestions?

2) Parking brake drags a bit, but releases plenty to make it driveable. I think there is rust in the sheathing and preventing full disengagement. Would this cause the ABS issue? Any tips for rebuilding?

3) Interior has some rips in the paneling and seat. I'm not going to spend a fortune, but would like to spruce it up a bit. Has anyone tried the Permatex kit or others with acceptable results?

4) I will probably need to replace struts/shocks. Any suggestions for affordable non-OEM components? I have the rear nivomats and don't want to drop $600 if I can help it. Also, I've hear that front struts are basically interchangeable with the non-XC chassis. Is this true?

5) It doesn't seem to pull as much as I thought at WOT and seems to struggle just a bit after reaching speed and going up a gear. I used to have a 1.8T Passat that had a bit more pep even at top gear, so perhaps my expectations are too high. No CELs.
A) I've replaced plugs, changed oil, cleaned filter, cleaned MAF, lots of new hoses and shiny plastic components with no known leaks, and engine is smooth after replacing the motor mount. Injectors seem to be ticking normally.
B) Resonator baffles are rattling around. Not sure if the cat converter is normal, but when I really get on the throttle at temp a few times, there's a slight burning odor. I found a lot of mice poop and nut husks in the engine bay, so I might have burned up a nest in there. Exhaust sounds fine below 2500 rpm, then it drones a bit on the highway.
C) I'm measuring around 7-8 psi boost at WOT and 26-27" vacuum off throttle. Is this about right? If I installed a MBC to take it up to 10 psi, would this be risky?

6) Is the prop shaft serviceable? I bought it with it removed and the carrier bearing was toast. I'd rather not buy a new one.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!