Stereo Question - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Stereo Question

Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 PM
DJR
Default Stereo Question

Hello all! Iím having difficulty finding an answer to my problem, so I thought I would try a volvo specific forum.

My problem is the factory stereo on my 1998 v70 cross country is not working. Itís due to the battery being dead and now it must be on/driven 2hrs so I can put the stereo code in.

I have an aftermarket stereo Iím going to install but Iím not sure if I can install it without doing the whole on/drive for 2hrs.

My question is can I just install the new stereo and be done with it, or do I need to drive it 2hrs, put the code in the factory stereo, then replace with the new stereo.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM

On my S70, the radio security system is only inside the radio, and you would just go ahead and install the new one. My car is a 98 and i am confused about this whole 2 hours thing.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 PM

the radio code has nothing to do with the charging system issues. Once you power up the radio you get prompted to put the CORRECT code in. As soon as you do that, you are good to go. I do recall the radio will lock you out after x number of failed code entries which may be the 2 hour waiting window you noted. If you don't know your radio code, you will need to know the VIN for the original car the radio came from (dealers can look up the radio code based on VIN). Otherwise its time to buy a replacement radio with a correct radio code.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 PM
DJR

Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
the radio code has nothing to do with the charging system issues. Once you power up the radio you get prompted to put the CORRECT code in. As soon as you do that, you are good to go. I do recall the radio will lock you out after x number of failed code entries which may be the 2 hour waiting window you noted. If you don't know your radio code, you will need to know the VIN for the original car the radio came from (dealers can look up the radio code based on VIN). Otherwise its time to buy a replacement radio with a correct radio code.
I think the issue is from failed attempts. I have the code, just hoping i can just install an aftermarket stereo without first doing the 2hr drive to reset the factory stereo. Just not sure if the lock out is in the radio itself or in the car

Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Default Lockout code

All I did was remove the factory stereo and installed the aftermarket stereo in my 99 v70

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-14-2019 at 09:31 PM.