V70 quirks? Buying advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V70 quirks? Buying advice!

Hey guys,

Volvo noob here. Usual BMW guy, I recently have been looking at purchasing an 850 or V70 (98s). I found an V70XC locally that has relatively low miles and is fairly cheap and negotiable but I have a few questions about it. First: here's the link to the ad from the dealer 98 V70XC

Here's a list of things I noticed while driving it:
  • Sounds like a truck from the inside, especially at idle, seriously...are these things usually really loud?
    Here's a few links of me driving it. Might wanna turn volume up.
  • Need a new heater core (coolant smell when heat turned on)
  • All tires are matching
  • I think it has a tensioner making noise? but it sounds different than any other tensioner I have heard going bad.
  • The alignment was REALLY off and the brakes seemed to be warped.
  • Transmission seemed to be smooth without any harsh shifts or hiccups, fluid also didn't smell too burnt either.
  • Needs a front suspension refresh
  • ABS and TRACS lights were on. Dealer said they were on when the PO traded it in, said that it just needs a speed sensor (are they linked together?)
  • Big question, this being an AWD...if it starts making noises (doesn't seem to now) and I would like to disable the AWD could I theoretically pull the DS permanently (or until getting a new now) with no side effects?

I know most people saw to avoid the AWD models but finding a FWD is few and far between in my area. I also like the look of the XCs more, especially if the AWD can be disable if it takes a dump. It looks like the guy has been sitting on it for almost a year, I'm just worried that even if I get it for a steal it's too far gone to revive. Lay all thought on me

Thanks guys!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don t buy just wait one will come along