Wheel and seat swap, models & years?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Wheel and seat swap, models & years?

Hello, New to forum and just purchased a 1998 V70 base with 1 owner and 109,000 total miles. Private lease Vehicle with all service records documented by authorized Volvo service. California car with no issues what so ever. Been looking for one like this for 6 months. I'm pleased!
It has the original wheels and they are 15" and hideous! Also the front seats have been worked on with a new imitation leather insert replacing the leather sitting area, Looks great and very professionally done but, even though the rest of the seat is original leather I want to replace the seats with full original leather.
My question is what 16" Volvo wheels will fit from other models and years? The same question with the seats. Just want to know what to concentrate on in my local used parts search.
Thanks for any help, It looks like I'll be here often and I have one advantage that I live in both Sweden and California and I'll help with anything someone needs from Sweden within reason.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just about all of the mid '90's Volvo wheels will fit. I was running 960 wheels on my S70 for a few days.

The seats are another story. I think your going to be stuck with '98 seats. I think the seat belt system changed in '99.

Last edited by rspi; 03-30-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Just about all of the mid '90's Volvo wheels will fit. I was running 960 wheels on my S70 for a few days.

The seats are another story. I think your going to be stuck with '98 seats. I think the seat belt system changed in '99.
My 98 V70 GT has factory mags and they are 15". I have a set of 17" off of my S90 and was wondering would it throw the speedo off to go to 16 or 17s? I also was thinking on just getting the factory ones chromed if the size makes that much diffrence in my case. Thanks, June

Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 AM

You can fit any of the V70 phase one or two wheels as well as those from the 960, the phase two V70 wheels have the same hub diameter and a slightly different offset, I have a set of phase two Thor alloys on my phase one V70.

Name:  DSCN0685.jpg
Views: 3172
Size:  4.18 MB

Seats, you can fit the seats from the 99 and 00 phase one V70 BUT the SIPS airbags within the seat are electrically fired on these models, your car won't have the sensors or wiring for this to work so if you do fit 99/00 seats you will have no SIPS protection.

The seat belt buckle which is attached to the seat (where you clip the seat belt in and press the red button to release the belt) is also different in that 98 and earlier used a micro switch, 99/00 seats used an inductive proximity sensor which is not electrically compatible with your car, you would need to swap the buckle/ clip.

In addition where the seatbelt clips to the outboard lower edge of the seat on 98 and earlier models it is secured with a bolt, 99/00 seats are attached with a quick release clip, again this can be re-worked to get it to fit but it is quite a bit of messing about with drills and files.

Finally if your replacement seats are electric for adjustment you should find the wiring ready to be used under the seat so it simply plugs in BUT unless your car came with electric seats you won't have the self resetting circuit breakers in the fuse box so these need to be added:

With the cover off you can see a single metal can under the lid, there should be more of these visible if power to the seats is going to work:

With the lid off for access the empty sockets can be seen

A quick trip to our local Indie (JumpLeads) and I got a pair of 30A breakers, these simply plug in to the two slots and now the seats are fully working

Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as seats go, You can forsure go back as far as 97. I swapped 98 seats into my 97 850 and it was all bolt on. Just make sure if you do get 97 or older seats, you need the seatbelts as well for the front. The bottom mounting portion on the seats between 850 and 70 series is different. airbag stuff and power plugs are all the same though. pre 97 im not 100% on the changes, but not that you know it works for 97, research may be worthwhile.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 AM

Pre 97 seats from an 850 are fine in the V70 phase one, I have a set of leather/ Alcantara seats in the car that came from an 850R that was pre 96 - Mike

Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 AM

Newbie Factory Wheel Guide...OMG its huge SORRY! nf56k!!!!!! - Turbobricks Forums

bear in mind that RWD and FWD based Volvo wheels typically have different offsets and may sit strange. Many Volvo wheels are interchangeable. The rim diameter is not what you should be concerned about regarding speedo accuracy; it is the overall diameter you must worry about (ie tyre size).

Here is an excellent site for calculating: Tire size calculator