02 v70 xc knocking again

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 v70 xc knocking again

hey i wrote a forum last week but didn't get to any conclusions.
my v70 is knocking from what sounds like the front and back right wheels. I don't think its bearings, but could it be the shafts that power each wheel that has the boot around each joint. sorry i don't know hat it is called.

the knocking has gotten louder and more consistent, and as i pulled out of the parking lot today and turned right i heard and felt a clang and some rattling afterwards. i pulled over and just put my hand up in the wells to see if anything had broken off or was loose. nothing. so i drove the 2 miles home and occasionally i would hear a soft grinding or more like rubbing. the shafts i was talking about earlier felt firm, but could it be that the joints are stripped out or something? I've never seen under the boot so I really don't know what kind of joint it is. if i find out what it is, ill fix it myself not paying a mechanic.

so has anyone else had this problem ad how did you fix it? it has 225000 miles

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

The drive axles, when they get worn, will click. There are 6 ***** in there usually, so they may click up to 6 times per revolution of the tire, but not necessarily. It would vary consistently with tire speed. Typically they don't click when you're going straight at all, so it's real obvious when you turn right or left from some stop sign they click, then they get quiet, and you know for sure you need some new axles.

The rear of course doesn't steer so that's another issue entirely.

There is no testing them by inspection in my opinion. If the car moves, and they're quiet, then they're good. That' my opinion only.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Default cv joint axels?

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
The drive axles, when they get worn, will click. There are 6 ***** in there usually, so they may click up to 6 times per revolution of the tire, but not necessarily. It would vary consistently with tire speed. Typically they don't click when you're going straight at all, so it's real obvious when you turn right or left from some stop sign they click, then they get quiet, and you know for sure you need some new axles.

The rear of course doesn't steer so that's another issue entirely.

There is no testing them by inspection in my opinion. If the car moves, and they're quiet, then they're good. That' my opinion only.
ok the axles you are talking about, are they the cv joint axels with the two boots on them?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:13 AM

Yes. That is what I mean. Fortunately they're fairly cheap for the front.

Here's some cheap philosophy. There's no weight on them, and 90% of the time they're not doing anything at all. when you accelerate from a stop sign they are working about 100 times harder than they do the rest of the time. therefore, if they're noisy, you'll know it's the drive axles, because of the wildly changing load on them.

Some of the other sounds you mention, grinding, rubbing, stuff you hear coasting, are not coming from these axles.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM

Yes. That is what I mean. Fortunately they're fairly cheap for the front.

Here's some cheap philosophy. There's no weight on them, and 90% of the time they're not doing anything at all. when you accelerate from a stop sign they are working about 100 times harder than they do the rest of the time. therefore, if they're noisy, you'll know it's the drive axles, because of the wildly changing load on them.

Some of the other sounds you mention, grinding, rubbing, stuff you hear coasting, are not coming from these axles.
Ok i ordered two front axles last night, but what about the rear ones? what exactly do i need to buy because they are ridiculously expensive.

also what could be that rubbing noise?
thanks for your input

Old 03-15-2016, 09:32 AM

So I replaced the front right axle and it seemed to solve the knocking,but not my concern right now. It is still making a rubbing or grinding noise. It sounds as if something is touching the drive shaft or something. I haven't noticed it affecting the way it drives.
It occurs when I hit 30mph and increases with car speed not engine rpms. It's weird because it doesn't stop until the car stops, but only starts up again at 30.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Old 03-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Inner fender maybe? I'm just guessing. They're plastic, and flexible, and they wouldn't necessarily stay in place if some of the fasteners are lost. Maybe you need to get up to 30 so that air will push it against the tire.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Inner fender maybe? I'm just guessing. They're plastic, and flexible, and they wouldn't necessarily stay in place if some of the fasteners are lost. Maybe you need to get up to 30 so that air will push it against the tire.
I checked everything's tight. Should I take the skid plate off to see if any things out of place or does anyone have any other suggestions

Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 AM

If it is something plastic dragging on something, a mark should be visible, and in fact you'd wear a hole in it relatively soon.

The only mechanical thing remotely suggested is a bearing (like a wheel bearing or the carrier bearing) although I don't really think so

Old 03-16-2016, 09:19 AM

If it is something plastic dragging on something, a mark should be visible, and in fact you'd wear a hole in it relatively soon.

The only mechanical thing remotely suggested is a bearing (like a wheel bearing or the carrier bearing) although I don't really think so
Probably not a bearing. It's relatively loud but what doesn't make sense is that it doesn't stop until the car does but only starts at 30.