04 V70 Instrument Cluster goes out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 V70 Instrument Cluster goes out!

Hi first post on here, been struggling with a problem with my 2004 V70 that I can't figure out myself or find an exact answer for. Car will work fine for a few days then out of nowhere while driving my instrument cluster will go completely out, at the same time that happens my turn signals stop working, door locks, and windows! Sometimes the cluster will work then shut off quickly then the whole car will jerk like the transmission is going to explode while that happens multiple times in a row or the car will start but die a few seconds until it sits for a bit... On top of all of that, the check engine light will pop and my car will tell me my brakes are failing, very strange any suggestions?!

Old 12-10-2021, 06:07 AM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

You may have a CEM with problems. First step would be a scan with a compatible scanner. Symptoms courtesy of xemodex.com

Common Failure Symptoms

Common Communication Failures:
The following failures are almost always intermittent in nature, meaning that the CEM will operate normally most of the time. To reproduce these symptoms, start the vehicle and heat up the CEM with a hair dryer for about 5 minutes, and observe the instrument cluster for any abnormal operation.
• Low Speed bus failures where two or more control units suddenly stop working at the same time. Most commonly the instrument cluster shuts down and the operation of power windows and sunroof is not possible. This is very common for all 2004 Volvo models with CEM part number 8688513.
• High Speed bus failures resulting in loss of communication between the ECM, TCM, and BCM. In the most common scenario the ABS and transmission warning messages will appear following a loud clunk from the transmission.
• Complete loss of communication where the CEM will not communicate with the rest of the network or the diagnostic tool.

Common Relay Control Failures:
• Starter motor not working even though start is approved by the immobilizer sequence
• Turn signals not working at all or one side turned on continuously
• Low beams, high beams, or fog light failures
• Horn not working at all
• Wipers not working at all or stuck in high speed
• Fuel pump relay not engaging
• CEM is not going to “sleep” causing battery drain